What happens if I double up the extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure I've seen the answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm finally moving which means I'm finally passing on my Mr. Beer gear to a friend and getting myself the space to get real carboys.

I have 2/3rds of a Cooper's Stout can left in which to make a final batch in the Mr. Beer keg. It usually only requires 1/3 of a can (yes, the extract keeps just fine in a mason jar). I don't have the time to make 2 batches and am not interested in getting any other kind of carboy for the short time I'm here.

So I want to add the whole 2/3rds of a can to the Mr. Beer keg. Is this a bad idea? I usually use 2.5 cups of dextrose when making the regular 1/3 of a can batch. Should I skip the sugar since there will be enough with the double extract?

Thanks,
WW

Great, thanks Yooper. Well, a can does a 5 gallon batch so 1/3 fits into the Mr. Beer keg well. Through some painful math and annoying people on HBT I worked out the figures a while back....

...but no more of that! It's all pails, glass carboys and airlocks for me now.

-WW

Latest posts

Back