What do you suggest for first time all grain batch or partial brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddPacker69

Reaction score
So I am going to step up to the all grain brewing. Or maybe just partial grain brewing. I have done some research and figured out for ALL GRAIN brewing I will need to spend some more money on equipment. Is this the case for partial grain?

Also, do you suggest getting an all grain kit or partial grain kit OVER just picking out my own ingredients, for the first time? I have only done one batch before, and it was a true brew kit, but I dont like the idea of extracts.

Depending on your equipment, you may be able to do a small all grain brew (1-3 gallons) to get your feet wet. Or you can upgrade for the future.

Either way, AG is the way to go. Occasionally there is a need to add some DME or LME to a wort due to gravity issues, but the process is so easy that I suggest making the jump. The only thing to consider is the time commitment. Your first couple of AG batches are going to take 6+ hours most likely until you get your system all set. I can do a brew in about 5 hours from start to end of cleanup at this point after a year of doing it.

I found it was easiest to start with a recipe kit from Northern Brewer, or any of the online or local options for you. It allows you to brew the AG batch you want without worrying if you screwed up the recipe. I have done about 6 batches now that I wrote the recipe for, and each one gets better than the last. You learn what works for you and expand upon it until you are satisfied.

I would highly recommend EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Pretty simple and forgiving recipe, and damn tasty to boot! you can find the recipe here using the search function.:mug:

The difference between an all grain batch and an extract is, basically, in a way, you are making your own extract. I have not done a partial mash, but I believe it involves using the extract and "steeping" grains.

You could try BIAB(brew in a bag) first, and start with a 2.5 gallon batch. Check out this BIAB ebook that BunzoBrew created

Or you may want to try a 1 gallon "kit" from Brooklyn Brew shop. It comes with almost everything you need at a reasonable price.

While I agree that all grain is the way to go, I have made many fine beers with Brewer's Best kits, or building am extract recipe from the recipe section here. I'd say that the next logical step for you may be getting yourself a 1/2 barrel keg, cutting a hole in the top, and using it for full-boil extract brewing. If your only doing partial boils now, you'll notice an improvement. Also, when you go all grain, you'll already have yourself an invaluable piece of the puzzle. I BIAB myself, so I only need the one keggle. If you decide to go that route, you'll be a bag away from all grain!

Latest posts

Back