Kitchen Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahariton

Reaction score
As part of a recent kitchen remodel, my awesome wife shocked me and said yes to putting two taps in the kitchen.

The kegerator is a Danby unit I got on sale at Costco, big enough for two corny kegs and a 5# CO2 bottle.

There was a hole in the back for the CO2 line. I enlarged the hole to fit a piece of 1 1/2" PVC. The beer lines and a 1/2" line hooked up to an air blower go through the pvc into a cabinet behind the kegerator and up to an igloo 6 pack cooler that contains the taps.

Here are a few pics. Just need to finish up a little of the tile and marble around the taps, and add some insulation to the pvc containing the beer lines and cold air line.

Final step is hanging a TV above the taps. I may never leave my kitchen.

Thanks to many others on this forum for the inspiration and design ideas!!

Photo%20Mar%2026%208%2056%2013%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2026%208%2056%2055%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2026%208%2057%2032%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2026%208%2059%2036%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2026%209%2000%2039%20PM.jpg

That looks great. Do you have any concerns about the low clearance between the bottom of the taps and the bottom ledge? Do you have to tilt the glass very far to be able to get it under the tap? Maybe the taps stick out further than I'm picturing and you can get a glass filled without any problems.

If my wife was okay with kitchen taps I would reduce the amount of taps I want to 3 (current goal is 5, I'm at 2ss 1 picnic). Looks pretty cool.

That looks great. Do you have any concerns about the low clearance between the bottom of the taps and the bottom ledge? Do you have to tilt the glass very far to be able to get it under the tap? Maybe the taps stick out further than I'm picturing and you can get a glass filled without any problems.

Thanks

The taps come out a little further than it appears in the pic. A pint glass fits perfectly underneath.

Would have liked to have a bit more room, but SWMBO balked at making the tap area any taller and I wasn't going to push my luck.

I have a Danby with a hole in the back for co2. I have wanted to enlarge the hole so I can run three co2 lines in from the back, but I've been worried about damaging it while enlarging the hole. Any problems or things to be concerned of when doing it? Did you just use a hole saw? No lines or anything around the hole I assume?

I have a Danby with a hole in the back for co2. I have wanted to enlarge the hole so I can run three co2 lines in from the back, but I've been worried about damaging it while enlarging the hole. Any problems or things to be concerned of when doing it? Did you just use a hole saw? No lines or anything around the hole I assume?

No lines or anything around the hole to be concerned about.

You shouldn't have any problems at all if you're increasing the hole to about 2". I can't speak to anything bigger than that.

Yes - used a hole saw. Since there's already a hole, there's nothing for the hole saw arbor to grab on to. Best bet is to cut a hole in a scrap piece of wood that you can use as a guide; otherwise the hole saw bounces all over the place. I learned this the hard way.

One the hole was cut, I used expanding window foam insulation to seal the pvc to the hole.

Thanks

The taps come out a little further than it appears in the pic. A pint glass fits perfectly underneath.

Would have liked to have a bit more room, but SWMBO balked at making the tap area any taller and I wasn't going to push my luck.
Awesome. When I win the lottery :ban:, I think I have the green light to attempt something similar in the little area next to the fridge.

Back