First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
My first saison extract is in the fermenter. Way more work than I expected, but a lot of fun. I hit my og and volume to the recipe.

Guess I need 6 weeks to see if it worked

After 3 weeks in the fermenter and 3 more in the bottles, I nearly dumped my saison as I hated the taste. 3 months later I was glad I didn't dump it as the flavor really changed for the better. Yours may be different but if it doesn't taste good right away, be patient.

Decided I am going to keg it, just placed an order for two kegs and all the stuff (I hope) to make them work.

The chest freezer I bought for ferment wont sit two 6.5 gallon carboys on the floor, so I am going to use for a keezer and buy a bigger chest freezer for the carboys.

My wife is going to kill me.

Just got home from a business trip and the ohm brew has been handling the stepped ferment well. Since I only have one beer in the freezer, I put a ferm wrap on the carboy. I let the freezer handle the days from 68-74 or so, then I suppose the ferm wrap took over taking the beer to 85. Its sitting at 79 right now and still bubbling away.

I went with a keg system as I really didnt want to bottle, now all I have to do is figure out how to put all that together, and then carbonate the beer after its done.

I am thinking of leaving it in the carboy for 4 weeks then kegging....but any advice is welcome.

The ferment instructions said pitch at 68-72 and raise two degrees per day to 85, hold 3 days and then crash to 75...I guess I let it condition at 75 for the rest of however long it needs

Well I suppose I have gone off the deep end into all grain. I found a 20% off coupon to midwest and bought the mega pots and pump, as well as quick disconnects. I then really went off the deep end and purchased a more beer fermneter.

Damn, talking about going all in all at once!

But I guess a lot of people would have saved a bunch of money if they'd gone this route to begin with!

Welcome to the obsession, you started with a fairly complex beer, and are getting in way faster than I did. I started with a $100. starter kit and a blonde ale. Turned out great and I was hooked. Of course I now have a keezer, a keggerator, many buckets, and 4 carboys I only use for wine (2 glass, 2 plastic). A scale, all the bottling stuff, and lots of misc. stuff.
In 3 years only one tossed (high temp ferment) many good, most great, and a few so good I hated to drink them (cake and eat it thing). However your first brew turns out, it will only get better, the knowledge and help here is worth the price of admission (membership) I have my own way of brewing (with help here) extract beer, that works consistently, easily, and no matter the style, just works. Enjoy the learning process, and enjoy good beer:mug:

Back