Opinions on how this Sweet 16 Double Chocolate Throw Down will turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupThePup

Reaction score
8lb Maris Otter Pale
1lb Pale Chocolate
1.5lb Crystal 60L
1lb Flaked Oats

2 oz. East Kent Golding 44 min

Mash @ 156 for 60 min

Wyeast - British Ale 1335 II

Computer Software gives these stats:
OG 1.057
FG 1.015
ABV 5.57%
IBU 32

It's been in the primary a couple weeks, gonna leave it in there a couple more. (Specialty grains are way high, so it'll be interesting to see what happens...)

Would you add vanilla beans to this?

Just bottled this. Used 7 vanilla beans for the last week. FG was 1.020. Perhaps I should have tried to warm it up a bit to get the FG lower, but we'll see how it turns out. I think the British Ale yeast isn't as attenuative as other ale yeasts...

The hyrdo sample tasted awesome. Roasty, Toasty, Tasty, Malty. With a background of vanilla (I'm sure the vanilla will fade over time.)

Primed with 16 oz. water and 2/3 cup dark brown sugar with 1oz Sailor Jerry.

Anyone ever prime with date sugar. Have some laying around from making candi syrup type stuff... which reminds me that's still in the freezer...

With just the hydro sample, I'd probablly mash at a lower temp next time. ~148-152ish would probably help dry it out with the British yeast or use like WLP007 instead.

Just sampled a bottle! Very smooth vanilla taste, not overpowering, not cloyingly sweet, almost perfect. Will sample another bottle in a couple more weeks.

Back