Hefe for a second brew.. any recipe suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomek322

Reaction score
Title says it all... Warmer weather coming around, I figured a nice light beer would be good. Plus the garage would be nice and warm for fermentation...

You guys have any extract plus grain recipes...

Easy:

Grains (steep at 155F for 15 mins)
8 oz. Carapils (dextrine malt)
8 oz. Crystal Malt 20L (optional)

Extract
4 lbs. Wheat LME (I used an extract that was 40% wheat and 60% 2-row barley)

Hops
Bittering: 3/4 Hallertau (60mins)
Flavor: NONE
Aroma: 1/4 Hallertau (5 mins)

Yeast:
Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068
or
White Labs Hefeweizen Ale IV WLP380

Mine will be bottled tomorrow. It turned out to a bit darker than I expected, but I used LME that was a bit old.

Just my 2 cents..... I like a blueberry Hefe. Add some blueberry extrat when you bottle.

Here is one of the easiest hefeweizen (and beer) recipes I've ever seen, and also the #1 seller at the LHBS I work at.

6 LBS wheat DME.
1 Oz Hallertau hop pellets.
Wyeast Wehienstephan (if that is spelled correctly) yeast, or Wyeast 1010 American Wheat yeast. (If you like the banana and clove notes, use the first one.)

Heat up a couple of gallons of water, dissolve the DME. AFTER dissolved, bring to a boil, and add 1/2 ounce of the hops. Boil for 45 minutes, add the rest of the hops, and boil for another 15 minutes.

Add to fermenter, add additional water to 5 gallons, check that you are under 80 degrees, and pitch yeast.

Watch out, with the weihenstephan yeast, (and some with the Am Wheat yeast) this will FERMENT voraciously! Use a LARGE fermenter! (I have seen a 5 gallon batch, in a 6.5 gallon carboy blow the airlock 15 feet in the air! Bounced off the ceiling!!)

Observe proper carboy procedures, (don't put HOT wort in a carboy!) and bottle-prime with your preferred method.

steve

Midwest Supplies has a Belgian Wheat kit that I recommend. Here is the info:

Belgian Witbier: Our version of this Belgian style wheat beer, includes coriander and orange peel. Witbiers are slightly tart and are a great summer beverage. The Belgian Wheat Wyeast #3942 is recommended and is responsible for this beers refreshing flavor. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Wheat liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Carapils, 2 Hallertau hops, 1 Tbsp Coriander, 1 Tbsp bitter orange peel, yeast, priming sugar, and a grain bag.

Squeeze in an orange wedge and I am in Beer heaven.

Cannot wait for my belgiun wit I have going right now!!!!! Nothing like the smell of corriander and orange in a brew. LOVE IT!!!!

I just ordered "Hank's Hefe" from midwest. Got some blueberry extract to add at bottling. Ahhhhhh, blueberry hefe!!!!

skou said:
Here is one of the easiest hefeweizen (and beer) recipes I've ever seen, and also the #1 seller at the LHBS I work at.

6 LBS wheat DME.
1 Oz Hallertau hop pellets.
Wyeast Wehienstephan (if that is spelled correctly) yeast, or Wyeast 1010 American Wheat yeast. (If you like the banana and clove notes, use the first one.)

Heat up a couple of gallons of water, dissolve the DME. AFTER dissolved, bring to a boil, and add 1/2 ounce of the hops. Boil for 45 minutes, add the rest of the hops, and boil for another 15 minutes.

Add to fermenter, add additional water to 5 gallons, check that you are under 80 degrees, and pitch yeast.

Watch out, with the weihenstephan yeast, (and some with the Am Wheat yeast) this will FERMENT voraciously! Use a LARGE fermenter! (I have seen a 5 gallon batch, in a 6.5 gallon carboy blow the airlock 15 feet in the air! Bounced off the ceiling!!)

Observe proper carboy procedures, (don't put HOT wort in a carboy!) and bottle-prime with your preferred method.

steve

Hey Steve and anyone else,

I plan to follow this recipe, but a few questions:

1. What do you think about adding 1oz of lemon zest at 5 min?

2. When you say "heat up the DME", what water temp do you add the DME to the water in the pot?

Thanks!

Gambrinus's Mug has a Widmer clone I've brewed a couple of times. I used White Labs German hefeweisen yeast. Man it was good. If you don't mind banana nose.
Make sure you take the bottle and roll it back and forth on counter before drinking and the yeast will be suspended. That's the the way the Germans do it. By the way Gambrinus's mug is a recipe sight with a LOT of recipes.

sacks13 said:

2. When you say "heat up the DME", what water temp do you add the DME to the water in the pot?

Thanks!
I 've been brewing a version of this for years that's even easier-6# of M&f Wheat DME with 1 oz of Hallertau at begginning of the boil. That's it. Use a great yeast -Weinhenstephaner Wheat or Bavarian wheat and you'll get those amazing banana and clove esters. As far as the lemon zest, personally, I'd leave it out and add fresh slices of lemon as you drink it. I also keep some fruit syrup around and pour in the bottom of the glass in case anyone wants a berry or peach wheat. Slainte..err..I mean Prost!:rockin:

sacks13 said:

Thanks!

The DME will dissolve more easily in hot water, than cool water. I'd say, anywhere from 125 to 200 degrees F would be OK. The only concern I have, is you want your DME dissolved before you boil, or it will scorch on the bottom of your pot.

I'd also add the lemon (or any other) flavour after you ferment, and in a glass. That way, you can choose between having a lemon flavoured beer, or not.

steve

Oh, one more thing;

With the Weihenstephan yeast, warmer ferments will give more banana flavours, and cooler ferments will give clove notes.

steve

Steve another question...

The krausen on this beer just dropped last night after one full week of active fermentation. The bubbles in the airlock have all but stopped.

Would you suggest a secondary for this beer? If so, when and for how long? If not, how much longer in the primary before I bottle?

By the way my temp has been a pretty steady 66-69 degrees.

Do a hydrometer test today, and do one tomorrow. If there is no difference, fermentation has finished, and it is time to bottle.

steve

I did a Coopers Wheat kit (but added the suggested dextrose and DME) and added about an ounce of Halertauer hops. I bottled after 8 days in the primary and am drinking it two weeks later and its AWESOME! Very easy and very tasty.

Greg

Summertime Hefe

6# Wheat extract
1# Malted wheat (steep for 30 min)
.75 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
.25 oz Hallertauer (5 min)

Zest of one lemon (avoid white part) (5 min)

Wyeast 3068-Weihenstephan Weizen

pa-in-utah said:
Cannot wait for my belgiun wit I have going right now!!!!! Nothing like the smell of corriander and orange in a brew. LOVE IT!!!!

I just ordered "Hank's Hefe" from midwest. Got some blueberry extract to add at bottling. Ahhhhhh, blueberry hefe!!!!

I'm planning on doing the same thing. Question, does the blueberry extract work well with a German Hefe too, or is it primarily best with American Wheats?

Thanks,
CT

sacks13 said:

Thanks!

I basicly did this but I used a potato peeler and "peeled" two large oranges and two lemons then put those peels into my boil at the same time as my IC so they boiled for 15 minutes.
This beer is in bottles now and has really become a good beer. I will be making this again this winter so that it's ready for the summer.

Back