marking inside of kettle for measuring water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a dowel or some sort of other measuring stick to insert because hops and foam get stuck to the inside of the brew pot making them hard to see.

Another vote for story pole. Dang near impossible to see inside a kettle once the boil is going and evaporation is peak.

Also cheaper and easier to maintain than a sight glass.

As long as you don't mind the sharpie ink getting into your beer, which it will do if you put it on the inside of your kettle or on your spoon.

+1 on the stirring spoon. I use a long plastic stir spoon that is engraved at 5, 6, and 7 gals. Have marked my kettles in the past but IMO marking the spoon is easier to read.

Yeah i wouldn't use a sharpie inside my BK. I did mark the outside of my BK with a sharpie. But I also used a pipe cutter to make notches up the handle of my SS mash paddle. I set that into my BK to measure my volumes as a cross check against the sharpie marks. for my HLT I have a sight glass marked in half gallon incrments.

well I didn't figure it would come off in the beer as it would only be in there for a second or two. I figured the sharpie would disappear when I cleaned everythign up or eventually wear off.

Yes, it would eventually wear off in your beer--especially if you put it in hot wort. But I meant the "only if you don't mind" bit--it wasn't snark. We consume all kinds of chemicals every day, and a bit of sharpie ink probably won't hurt you... ;)

Back