Globs in my cyder. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLC

Reaction score
This is my first brew. I have a batch of hard apple cyder in a five Gal. carboy. The air lock stopped. I tested, specific gravity it was 0. I wanted to back sweeten so I added Potassium Sorbate as directed then 1 campden tablet. I then used Super Kleer. The cider is very clear after 24 hours but there are globs collected in a ring around the top on the surface and globs are floating and falling up and down. Do I need to add Pectic Enzymes? what is this & what do I need to do? Please HELP

Keiselsol and chitosan can make disgusting globs that settle to the bottom. If you whip the heck out of it after you mix it in and it froths up you will get a disgusting gooey foamy residue stuck to your demijohn. I've only ever used it in kit wines and had a similar experiences which caused me to stop using it.

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it, put it in a cool place and it will settle out.

Thank You, For your help. I am very excited to bottle my first cider. How long do you think it will take to settle out. I have it on a cement floor in a very cool spot. The thermometer does not register at all & 64 is the lowest temp on it.

Thank You, For your help. I am very excited to bottle my first cider. How long do you think it will take to settle out. I have it on a cement floor in a very cool spot. The thermometer does not register at all & 64 is the lowest temp on it.

I leave it for 2 weeks but it should be clear in a few days. Sometimes the globs stick to the top of the carboy, you can mix it in now and they will sink or just leave it and clean it out after you bottle.

Ooh, do not rest directly on concrete. You need a barrier between carboy and floor.
Also cider is famous for something called 'keeving'. Interesting to see, and read about... http://www.cider.org.uk/keeving.html.

The globs may also be pulp, if you used fresh pressed cider instead of filtered juice. Had you racked the cider before you added the fining agent?

You mentioned adding pectic enzyme, did you add it before you pitched the yeast, or at any time during ferment?

And if you have a 5-gal batch you usually need to add 5 campden tabs (check per gallon instructions on your pkg) plus the sorbate (usually 1/2 tsp per gallon) as you stabilize for backsweetening. You mentioned the addition of one Campden tab....what size is your batch?

Sorry I didn't respond saramc. I have not checked the site lately. The first bottling is done. The wine is sweet maybe too sweet, but tasty. Thanks to all for your support in my time of panic. just another newbie.

Back