where to buy Milk Sugar/Lactose in Canada?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
I am wanting to make a Milk Stout and I need Milk Sugar/Lactose. I checked a Save On and with a health food store in my city, but neither has ever heard of it.

Any idea where what type of store I should be looking for that would sell Milk Sugar/Lactose? I know I can order it online, but it would be shipping from the other end of Canada.

Galactik said:
I am wanting to make a Milk Stout and I need Milk Sugar/Lactose. I checked a Save On and with a health food store in my city, but neither has ever heard of it.

Any idea where what type of store I should be looking for that would sell Milk Sugar/Lactose? I know I can order it online, but it would be shipping from the other end of Canada.

I see you're in BC. Bosa beer and wine supplies in Burnaby carries lactose.

For what it's worth, I've brewed with actual milk to get lactose in.
I was doing a Cream Ale, and forgot to pick up lactose at my LHBS. Easy enough to add real milk, though.

According to the nutrition label, you get 11g of Lactose per cup of milk. So, if you're hard up (as I was), you can get ~.4 pounds of lactose from a gallon of milk.

Throw in a little extra Irish Moss to pull down some of the milk proteins. You'll still get a heck of a trub, but also some very tasty beer.

For what it's worth, I've brewed with actual milk to get lactose in.
I was doing a Cream Ale, and forgot to pick up lactose at my LHBS. Easy enough to add real milk, though.

According to the nutrition label, you get 11g of Lactose per cup of milk. So, if you're hard up (as I was), you can get ~.4 pounds of lactose from a gallon of milk.

Throw in a little extra Irish Moss to pull down some of the milk proteins. You'll still get a heck of a trub, but also some very tasty beer.

This is NOT good advice. Do NOT add milk to your beer. A cream ale shouldn't have lactose in it to begin with, nevermind real milk.

Latest posts

Back