Beginner's Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangelove

Reaction score
Howdy,

What do you float your hydrometer in? I bought a 250 ml graduated cylinder, but that seems to waste a fair amount of beer.

Is there a trick for getting the top off of the Brewer's Best fermenting tubs? I'm no lightweight, but I thought my fingers were going to come off before the top did. I don't want to just start prying with a screwdriver, etc, for fear of damaging the lid.

Thanks for any/all input.

Howdy,

What do you float your hydrometer in? I bought a 250 ml graduated cylinder, but that seems to waste a fair amount of beer.

Is there a trick for getting the top off of the Brewer's Best fermenting tubs? I'm no lightweight, but I thought my fingers were going to come off before the top did. I don't want to just start prying with a screwdriver, etc, for fear of damaging the lid.

Thanks for any/all input.
Hey man. Great name and a great movie. Kubrick was a genius!

Hydrometer: I've used the little plastic container that the hydrometer gets stored in. Just don't put boiling wort in there. If you prefer something more sturdy (for standing on counter, etc), just grab a smaller tube at your local homebrew shop. They're only about $5.

As for the bucket lids, just work your way around slowly and use a dishtowel to protect your fingertips. It gets a little easier after a few batches.

I've used the little plastic container that the hydrometer gets stored in.

Wow. Either you're a genius or I'm an idiot. Ummm...door number 2, Monty.

Perfect, thanks.

Major T. J. "King" Kong: Stay on the bomb run, boys! I'm gonna get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek!

I got a small test tube at my LHBS for like $2.50. It's plastic, but works perfect.

The lid, like jaythebassist said, you just have to work it off little by little by going around the circumference.

At the risk of getting yelled at for mentioning this, I also read that with those really heavy duty lids (the blue ones that have a lot of "lip" on them) you can actually cut them a little bit. In fact, I think they're even made so you can do that.

Personally, I never wanted to do that because I like knowing I have a very tight seal on the lid. But I guess it's an option. Although, it's one of those things I read in the beginner manuals that come with home brew kits, so proceed at your own risk. :mug:

I use my wine thief as my sample bottle. Just pop the hydrometer right inside and it works great. +1 on the bucket opener at HD. :mug:

Latest posts

Back