How'd you do it Dude?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Most of Dude's recipes are linked to the promash versions of the same. Dude, how do you do that? It is really great and why I have never noticed it is probably a testimony to my "sipping", but if you can help me do the same, I would appreciate it. I also figure you add them by modifying your signature. Correct?

They don't call him "Dude" for nothing. :mug:

Easy.

Promash has a feature to save a recipe as html. You take that file and host it on your ISP. It will give you a URL to post into a sig.

I can write out specific instructions but hosting on ISPs may be different. I use Cox. You'll need some kind of personal space--like for a website. Most ISPs offer a small bit of free storage space.

In promash, when you have a recipe open, all you have to do is click the little printer icon on the lower right corner, and select "Export to html". That file will save in promash under "html_exports". Just upload that file to your ISP website.

I just knew it would involve some kind of cyber mumbo-jumbo. I quess I need to do some READUN' and learn me a few things about this whole ISP utilization thing. My problem is the computer programming class I took taught me to use punch cards. I don't know nothin' about postin' to no ISPs!

Thanks Dude.

Brewpastor,

If you have high-speed internet at home, you most likely have some personal space at no extra charge. Most of them call it a personal website or something similar.

If you don't, there are several free ones out there that you can use. Angelfire and Tripod are 2 of them, but I'm sure there are many more. Personally, I like Tripod better, but that's just me.

Once you've got a space, uploading is very simple. Most services have an interface to upload files very similar to what you use to upload pictures here. Once it's up, linking it is as easy as pie!

OK, I own the domain name "Brewpastor.com". So now what do I do? I really am an idiot at all this stuff. I guess it is that pre '60s birth date.

Brewpastor said:
OK, I own the domain name "Brewpastor.com". So now what do I do? I really am an idiot at all this stuff. I guess it is that pre '60s birth date.

The name alone is just a name you have the rights to. Basically, the name will point to whatever "bucket" you keep your stuff in. Without the bucket, you don't have anywhere to store your stuff.

What internet service do you have?

I was going to ask the same question, but never got around to it. And it's not a generational thing. I'm probably half your age, and am also cluless at that stuff.

It's just like brewing beer - you need to ask some questions and do it a few times before you "get" it. Then there are MILLIONS of little things you can do to make it better.

I'm not sure, but I'm going to do some homework and check with my DSL ISP. Alphabet soup anyone?

Go to the support site for your ISP. They will have directions for how to upload files to your web space, assuming that they apportion out some to each customer. They will also be able to tell you what the URL (address) for your area will be. From there, it is just like file browsing on your PC. Usually they require you to FTP (file transfer protocol) your data up. This is very easily done through your regular web browser, and they normally will have directions for that too. This sounds complicated, but it really is not that bad. I can access my stuff by going to ftp://webpages.charter.net w/ my regular (email) username and PW. It is as easy as browsing files on your PC.

So, I just need to jump in and see what I can do. My home account is a "stones and cows" dial-up, but at work/the church we have a T1. Does that help?

That this is just like brewing beer isn't very comforting. I have been brewing for 25 years and I am still confused. Maybe I need to slow down on the "sipping".

The provider of the service is more important that the type.

Tripod has free space available, but they give you banner ads on top - which really is no big deal. There are tutorials and whatnot for setting up a basic website.

That's actually the way I got started.

As for making it pretty, Front Page is pretty easy. It's kinda like using Word. I like Dreamweaver better, but there is a learning curve involved. There are also several free HTML editors out there or you can code by hand if you like.

I will check with my ISP at work and see what they have to say about space. As for coding by hand, well, I think I will take it easy and just stick with the basics for now!

I figured out mine and found my webhosting for uploading stuff. I have a total of 250 MB free. How far will that go if I'm just saving stuff in html?

Brewsmith said:
I figured out mine and found my webhosting for uploading stuff. I have a total of 250 MB free. How far will that go if I'm just saving stuff in html?

That's plenty for your personal stuff - even if you have tons of pictures

There, I corrected my post. What I mean is that I use Photobucket to host my pix so I can post them. I have never thought or looked to them as a HTML hosting source. I don't know if they even do it.

Brewpastor said:
There, I corrected my post. What I mean is that I use Photobucket to host my pix so I can post them. I have never thought or looked to them as a HTML hosting source. I don't know if they even do it.

It's similar. What they do is allow you to upload a certain type of file - probably only jpg, gif and perhaps a few others. What you want is to do the same thing, but with html files.

I doubt that photobucket allows that, but there are services that do.

Brewsmith said:

Just to show how much space you have - if you were going to only post recipes like Dude has in his sig, you could have about 10,000 of them with 250 MB

Back