gelatin finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use gelatin except in weizen beers. I do not cut or bend the tubes, don't pull a pint until after 3 days. I do shake my kegs after adding the gelatin but only after I purge the headspace with co2

I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per tablespoon.

Stir it up and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to hydrate and bloom.

Put the pot on the stove and heat until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.

Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).

Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer.

BierMuncher

I have a Kolsch picture attached. I do not have a means to cold crash, will following your directions for adding gelatin work at room temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407353886.934283.jpg

No in my opinion it's black and you can not see the clarity, but something I did do with this Kolsch after I added gelatin and then cold crashed it was filter it. I then did the gelatin and cold crashed an English Bitter then filtered it...I have yeast bubble guts at the beginning or the end of the kegs!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hello(sorry if i'm reviving an old post), someone has tried use gelatin in a secondary and conditioning in bottle(natural carbonation)

Yes. I do that all the time. Gelatin removes proteins that cause cloudiness, but there's still plenty of yeast in there.

ok, thanks Im going to try it, but can you help me with some doubts?

firts: I have read that people when use gelatin, they first cooldown the beer before pouring the gelatin(in a keg usually because they force carbonation and because the Chill Haze)

so my doubt is, if I chill the beer I still can conditioning in bottle without the need of more yeast?(Since I'm talking about an ale)

thanks

Typically you don't want to bottle after using gelatin. It will pull all of the yeast out of suspension and therefore not leave any left for bottle conditioning. At least that's what I've been reading, someone correct me if im wrong.

Sorry, ill4delph, but you're wrong. I have gelatin fined many beers and bottle carbed them with no issues.

that's what I understand, but some people has bottle carbed after that, if I had the filtering equipment and kegs, I would not be asking that

What I want to know if I can still bottle conditioning after the cold crash, I think I cant(since the Ale yeast is not made for cold)

Yes, you can. I have, many times. Cold crash and gelatin to clear, then rack into bottling bucket with priming sugar, bottle, then let the bottles come up to room temp (approx 70*). No problems carbing up, and the residual gelatin in suspension results in a very hard yeast cake in the bottom of the bottle that makes it easy to get all the beer out of the bottle with a careful pour.

Cold crashing drops solids out of suspension, but the yeast is fine. They keep the yeast vitals in the fridge at the store, right? Ale yeasts grow better at room temperature, so just leave your bottles to condition the same place you did your fermenting. I have done it this way with every batch I have made, and they all conditioned.

Yes, you can. I have, many times. Cold crash and gelatin to clear, then rack into bottling bucket with priming sugar, bottle, then let the bottles come up to room temp (approx 70*). No problems carbing up, and the residual gelatin in suspension results in a very hard yeast cake in the bottom of the bottle that makes it easy to get all the beer out of the bottle with a careful pour.

really? amazing, another question, how much time you let the gelatin settle before bottling the beer?

Cold crashing drops solids out of suspension, but the yeast is fine. They keep the yeast vitals in the fridge at the store, right? Ale yeasts grow better at room temperature, so just leave your bottles to condition the same place you did your fermenting. I have done it this way with every batch I have made, and they all conditioned.

well you got a point, thank you very much

Sorry, ill4delph, but you're wrong. I have gelatin fined many beers and bottle carbed them with no issues.

Sweet! Thanks for the info! All this time I've been avoiding trying it because I was under the impression the gelatin took all the yeast out of suspension too. I've used it in kegs with amazing results, but now ill give it a whirl next time I bottle.

Didn't read all the posts; sorry if this has been asked before...

For a lager, do you still wait and use gelatin a couple days before bottling? Or do you use it when you first transfer to secondary - after cold crashing, but before the extended lagering period? I'd guess the former, but does it matter? Or could you use it in the primary, so that it does its job and then you rack the clear beer off it into the secondary? Or should the long cold lagering period be enough to clear the beer without even using gelatin?

Sorry, lots of questions at once... Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just read all 38 pages of this thread. Lots of mixed ideas and methods...but having read through all of it, I'm going to take this approach for bottling.

I already have a 5 gal batch of West Coast IPA in a secondary fermenter that was just dry hopped yesterday (2/25/15)

1) Ferment in secondary for 10 days @68*F (or longer)
2) Mix 1 TSP of Unflavored Gelatin with 2 cups of cold sanitized water
3) Microwave in 30 second bursts, stir after each burst until solution is clear and never let solution get over 170*
4) Pour warm gelatin solution into secondary and gently rock to mix
5) Let it sit for 3 days
5) Cold Crash for 24 hours
6) Rack to bottling bucket with priming solution and bottle
7) Let it bottle condition for 3 weeks at 68 degrees :tank:

How does that sound, team? Logical? Comments/advice?

I don't get the whole "Blooming" thing, so I'm not going to waste time on that.

That was an excellent write up!

So the difference being, he cold crashes first, then mixes the solution.

I like BierMuncher's approach a little better (although I think he uses a little too much gelatin IMO) - adding at a warmer temp. I don't know why, but it makes more sense to me in that it won't solidify as quickly when mixed, which it'll do eventually during cold crashing:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/gelatin-finings-53912/index31.html#post4394584

I always cold crash first, right down to near freezing (0.5 C / 34 F) before adding gelatin. I have never had it clump up and float. That usually happens if you get the gelatin too hot (more than 150f) when pasteurizing it before adding.

The reason you want the beer cold is you *want* any haze producing particulates to form up so the gelatin can grab onto them and crash them down. You then need to keep it at cold-crash temps for at least another 24 hours, although 48-72 works a bit better.

I have gelatin fined this way pretty much on every beer since I read about it. It has never failed to perform.

I always cold crash first, right down to near freezing (0.5 C / 34 F) before adding gelatin. I have never had it clump up and float. That usually happens if you get the gelatin too hot (more than 150f) when pasteurizing it before adding.

The reason you want the beer cold is you *want* any haze producing particulates to form up so the gelatin can grab onto them and crash them down. You then need to keep it at cold-crash temps for at least another 24 hours, although 48-72 works a bit better.

I have gelatin fined this way pretty much on every beer since I read about it. It has never failed to perform.

Makes me wish someone had picture proof - same batch of beer using both methods...

Round 1 - FIGHT! haha

I apologize if this has been answered, I made it through 9 pages and didn't see anything definitive.

Currently in secondary, 5 days in @ 55-60 F.
I read in earlier posts that it is good to add to secondary and then rack onto it, however it's already in my secondary. Without actually mixing it in, I will be dumping gently to avoid disturbing anything and I don't know how effective that would be, especially if it ends up clumping and falling to the bottom quickly like others have mentioned.

To summarize:
1. Can I just add to batch already in secondary and bottle in a few days assuming that it works.
2. Is there an ideal temperature range that I should try to have my batch in to help maximize effects?

To summarize:
1. Can I just add to batch already in secondary and bottle in a few days assuming that it works.
2. Is there an ideal temperature range that I should try to have my batch in to help maximize effects?

1) Just pour it in the secondary and allow 3-4 days to clarify.
2) There is a lot of speculation on this. I thought I would pour in before cold crashing, but I ended up cold crashing, then pouring in. Cold crashing made up for majority of the clarity IMO, I don't know how much clarity came from the gelatin fining.

When I did it for my Kölsch, I cold crashed in primary first (34 degrees), then added the gelatin mixture (still warm). Let sit for 48 hrs cold, then racked to bottling bucket.

Before:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426030592.849752.jpg

After:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426030624.066969.jpg

Then this is at bottling (can see better in hydrometer tube):
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426030861.366752.jpg

Next time, though, I'll let it sit longer before bottling... Lots of gelatin in the bottoms of the bottles now. Though the beer in the glass is still really clear, so I'm not too worried about it!

speaking of gelatin, I have been meaning to ask what people think about this:
http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/liebers-unflavored-jel.htm
I have a few vegan friends and would hate to say that my beer had animal products in it. Personally I don't really give much of a s"&$ and I have been wanting to try the gelatin trick, but it would be nice not to have a disclaimer on my beers.
-ander
My Girlfriend is one of those vegetarian (not the same as vegan) Shes still a keeper though since shes supportive and even bought me a conical for Christmas :)

I use whirlfloc and thats all Ive used... that and the fact that I recirculate my mash through a rims makes the beers come out clear (usually) I find that a couple weeks in the kegerator makes it crystal clear in the light.

I'm a hunter and meat eater myself but when you look into what Gelatin is made of I honestly find it kind of a turn off... scrap tendens, skin, cartridge, bone, hooves, ect.
I know some breweries use fish stomach byproducts with good results. (I just remember it start with an I and has a lot os "S",s in its spelling...
I may try both at some point if I ever get a cloudy beer I want clear for some reason.

Nice thread here. I just read it all. I have been fining my last few beers. I find that if I chill my primary down to freezing or at least 38F, I can add no more than 1/2 pack of knox gelatin (~ 1.5 tsp or so) and get incredibly clear beer in no more than 4 days.

I am almost certain my pale ale that I used this approach on lost some hop character. I don't think I'll use gelatin again on a hoppy beer.

Has anyone tried any experiments (besides the Brulosopher) on fining vs not-fining to see how it impacts hops and malt character?

On my most recent beer I decided to drop back to 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons, and we'll see how well it works in just a couple days. I really like having the yeast out of suspension, as they add nothing to the character of the beer except in so far as hop aroma and flavor may be tied up with them somehow.

Just trying to get some more information on how fining really impacts the flavor of the beer as regards hop and malt character as opposed to removing the yeast bite and negative flavors associated with yeasty beer.

You are correct on the stripping out some of the hop character, I just did an IPA and it's more of a Pale Ale... It's still delicious!

I don't mind boosting my hops to compensate if I have a beer style where I'm not going for the maximum hop character, but I think I'd just stick with a slow clearing for an IPA. I really need to do my own experiment though. Maybe the tradeoff of non-yeasty beer from the get-go is worth the reduced hoppiness. I guess it also depends on the yeast and the rest of the recipe formulation as to how the beer tastes when it is yeasty.

I started filtering not too long ago. I noticed a drop in hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness. The same happens with gelatin. I think the problem isn't the fining, but the loss of the yeast. Just compensate with more hops.

I just fined an ESB with 1/2 tsp of gelatin. As I was kegging it, it appeared that it had not fined quite as well as when I used 1/2 of a package (my first attempts at fining I used 1/2 of a package.) It did drop a fair amount of yeast though. I think I might be getting closer to the right ball park for the amount to use. I still have a lot of experimenting to do I guess. I'd like to just do split-batch fine vs no-fine, but that will take up two half-kegs!

You need to cold crash first, *then* add 1/2 envelope of knox gelatin dissolved in water and heated to 150-160 degrees. Then keep it cold-crashed for another 2-3 days. The result is crystal clear beer.

You need to cold crash first, *then* add 1/2 envelope of knox gelatin dissolved in water and heated to 150-160 degrees. Then keep it cold-crashed for another 2-3 days. The result is crystal clear beer.

I found that as well. I'm wondering if adding less gelatin will result in adequate clearing and less flavor removal though. I still have a lot to learn about how to change the process when using gelatin.

To be honest, I think whatever is removed is the source of astringent/green beer flavors. My beers end up being cleaner and crisper tasting. Even stouts benefit from it and seem to mature sooner.

I just tasted my ESB with 0.5 tsp gelatin for finings last night. It was pretty clear, just a bit of haze, and nice maltiness. Hard to argue with gelatin!

Back