Adding Flavor By Racking Onto More Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
Has anyone tried fermenting out a batch of sweet cider, then racking on top of say some Granny Smiths to add tartness and so forth? If so, how did it turn out?

Unless someone has good reason(s) not to do it, I think I'm going to try it; I'm just curious if anyone has done it, and if so, whether they have any advice as to tweaking the procedure, etc. Otherwise, I guess I'll just post my results when I've finally bottled.

Getting read to do that but with cranberries. Still haven't reached FG although its close. When it does it should be simple.

Has anyone tried fermenting out a batch of sweet cider, then racking on top of say some Granny Smiths to add tartness and so forth?

I have not tried this, but it does sound interesting.

How were you planning on having the apples that you rack on to? Quartered? Peeled? Pureed?

I have not tried this, but it does sound interesting.

How were you planning on having the apples that you rack on to? Quartered? Peeled? Pureed?

Same as if I was making a beer: chop them, freeze them, thaw them, rack on top of them. Wasn't planning to peel them unless someone recommends it specifically, but I was planning to core them.

Same as if I was making a beer: chop them, freeze them, thaw them, rack on top of them. Wasn't planning to peel them unless someone recommends it specifically, but I was planning to core them.
Unless they are organic grown Granny Smiths, I'd peel them to get rid of potential pesticides. It would also expose more surface area of apple, and I really don't see the peel providing any benefit to the cider.

Back