Shouldn't bottle an English Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Is this true? I've read several sources that say they don't do well in the bottle and I didn't realize this before I brewed one. I did Jamil's Mild and it's ready to bottle but now I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I might want to get another keg but that might not happen right now.

Who has experience bottling an english mild and how did it turn out?? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be fine, but that's what I have heard. Thanks.

I see some validity to this but there is an easy solution. Milds are typically carbed very low and served with low pressure or via engine. This creates a creamy texture and perceived body without adding carbonic bite. This low pressure often comes across as flatness on a bottled beer.

Solution: carb the beer to a little higher degree than kegged versions. 2.0-2.2 vols should do nicely. Use beersmith or some other carb calculator ot determine the amount of sugar to get to this vol.

Edit: In other words, exactly what Bob says in the other thread. And I agree with his assessment that the character of the beer is changed. I won't bottle beers of mild from my kegs for this reason.

So would you not bottle it then?? Can this stay in primary for awhile until I get another keg in a couple of weeks??

You can bottle. We're just saying that you want to aim for a relatively low carbonation, no more than 2.0 volumes to preserve the flavor and texture of the beer. In an ideal world, we'd all have serving casks in our cellars (not THERE'S a Christmas gift idea........) but few of us do so we either keg or bottle.

If you don't have a keg, bottling is fine. Once it's carbed up, store it and serve it at cellar temperatures. I keg, so my mild is colder than I like in the kegerator. I just pour it and allow it to warm for a while before drinking.

Mild's are almost always sold in casks, bottled versions were usually made slightly stronger and called Brown Ales.

It's one of those beers that tastes quite vile if you carbonate it or even serve it cold, makes it seem much thinner and insipid than it actually is.

Back