Motor too small for milling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I'm in the process of setting up a home brewery and think that I may have just made a mistake. I have a MM-3 Pro mill, a 10:1 gear reducer and a 1/2hp motor. These items are bought but not assembled.

Initially I was going to get the regular MM-3 but being that the price difference wasn't that drastic I bumped it up to the pro. I didn't think to look if the pro would require a larger motor, am I going to be able to run this mill with the motor that I have?

I really don't want to have to buy another motor but if I have to suck it up and buy a 1hp motor and try to sell the motor that I have I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
1/2 hp is plenty, but reduction of 10:1 means a final drive of only 175 rpm. A little slow maybe.

Thanks for the response. I'm basing my "knowledge" of what I should be doing from Monster Brewing Hardwares FAQ

In regards to the mill speed - "The best speed to run all of the drill driven mills at is around 150-250 rpms."

In regards to power needed - "and 1 HP for our larger 2" diameter roller mills."

I guess if I notice it bogging I could have the mill running before adding the grain?

Ah, I am comparing to my Barley crusher which has 1-1/4" rollers. They suggest 500 RPM, and I would have to do the math to find for surface speed of the two.
BC recommends 500 RPM... I run at 300 RPM, and feels a little slow. That's why I made the comment.
At 1-1/4", that is a circumference of almost 4".
The 2" circumference is 6.28", so the 1-1/4" is a little under 2/3 the circumference of the 2", so 150 RPM does sound right... I stand corrected.
As for horse power, 1/2 hp will be plenty as long as you have the rollers spinning when you add the grains (that motor doesn't look like it has a capacitor start).

I run my MM2-2.0 at 63 RPM. It's slower than I'd like but I would only go up to 120-150 RPM if I had a choice. 175 will be fine and you should be at somewhere around 350 inch pounds of torque.

If you are still in the hunt...
Try www.AllAmericanAleWorks.com.
I am selling these motors, specifically designed for beer brewing grain mills. Torque is no problem - either 170 inch pounds or 130 inch pounds. Two speeds are available - 180 RPM or 240 RPM. Everybody who has purchased one (300+ fellow brewers) all love it. Let me know what you think. Happy Brewing!

Husky Hummel 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back