Hop Bursting with Wet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckus95

Reaction score
I've got a little over a pound of Fresh Cascade and about a pound of Fresh Citra that will be ready in the next few weeks. I was thinking about using one or the other for a single hop APA or IPA, with all additions at 20 mins or less. I've heard that 60 min additions of wet hops can lead to grassy/vegetal flavors, but I've always wanted to try a completely wet-hopped beer. So, I thought that hop bursting with wet hops might get the result that I want, without the off flavors.

Has anyone ever done hop bursting with all wet hops? Does anyone see any possible negatives (other than the fact that I don't know the AA% and won't know the actual IBUs)?

I appreciate the input.

Sounds like a tasty experiment. You would likely use all 2 lbs of the hops and would need a large pot to fit that many hops in. I assume you want to do a 5 gallon batch?

What is "hop bursting"?

Its where you add all or a large amount of hops at the end of the boil, I think 20 minutes or less. I haven't tried it yet but I want to soon. Maybe someone else can give a better answer than me.

The only problem I can foresee is the amount of hops you have to use. Hopbursting requires a lot more hops than "normal" additions. In addition to that, you need to use 5x as much wet hops as dry to equal the same amount.

I have been using the hop bursting method for about 10-12 batches now on my IPA's. I'll never go back...I use typically about 5 ounces of hops (pellets) in the last 7-8 minutes including the flameout hops, then dry hop 2.5 ounces in the secondary. The beer is better than ever.

I use typically about 5 ounces of hops (pellets) in the last 7-8 minutes including the flameout hops, then dry hop 2.5 ounces in the secondary. The beer is better than ever.

Which means that if you were using wet hops, you'd need 25 oz. (about 1.5 lb.) for the 7-8 min. addition!

Back