Stout recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldogBrewer

Reaction score
This is the first recipe I've tried to formulate.

10lb Maris Otter
2lb Wheat Malt
1.5lb Crystal 120L
1.25lb Roast Barley
1.25lb Choc. Malt
1.25lb CaraPils
1lb Brown Sugar (last 10 minutes of boil)

I've been getting crap efficiency (like 60ish% lately) so I've figure this around 1.070 for a 5.5g batch.

This is a tweak on the Deception recipe, but added the CaraPils for head retention and swapped brown sugar for the lactose.

Haven't settled on a hop yet, but it won't be very pronounced.

The sugar addition will ferment out and will make the beer thinner, the opposite of the lactose, which will not ferment and will make the beer have a fuller mouthfeel. Which is fine if that's what you intend, just a note.

Bulldog, I do a sweet/cream stout made with Munich as the base malt, the recipe is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/singing-boys-cream-stout-149551/

The Munich adds to its richness, accentuates the maltiness.

crean_stout.jpg

This is the first recipe I've tried to formulate.

10lb Maris Otter
2lb Wheat Malt
1.5lb Crystal 120L
1.25lb Roast Barley
1.25lb Choc. Malt
1.25lb CaraPils
1lb Brown Sugar (last 10 minutes of boil)

I've been getting crap efficiency (like 60ish% lately) so I've figure this around 1.070 for a 5.5g batch.

Ouch. I'd investigate that with some less-expensive grists before I go down this road. But that's just me.

This is a tweak on the Deception recipe, but added the CaraPils for head retention and swapped brown sugar for the lactose.

Someone else commented on the lactose, so I'll just say, "+1".

Drop the CaraPils. You've got a base malt which supports foam formation and retention. And you've got a sizable proportion of wheat malt, which aids foam. And you've got an even larger proportion of roasted malts, which aid foam.

CaraPils is a crutch a mashing brewer doesn't need. Everything CaraPils does you can do with technique.

:mug:

Cheers!

Bob

Ouch. I'd investigate that with some less-expensive grists before I go down this road. But that's just me.

Yeah, it has sucked.. But I think I have it down to a couple things, the slits on my manifold are too large and probably not hitting my temps the last couple of times the way I thought I had. Got a couple new thermometers and I'm going to redo my manifold as well. We'll see...

Thanks for the input, I'll drop the carapils and adjust the recipe a bit. Appreciated!

I agree with Bob 100 percent on the Carapils.

I just want to add that you have 4lbs of roast and dark caramel malts that will a provide plenty of unfermentables. So I don't think the Carapils is necessary for adding body.

Thanks for the input guys. Your right this is a big grist. One thing I'm wondering, lactose is pricey at my LHBS what can I expect if I just leave it out?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input guys. Your right this is a big grist. One thing I'm wondering, lactose is pricey at my LHBS what can I expect if I just leave it out?

Thanks!

It won't be a sweet or cream stout then, which is fine, depending on what you want. I think cream stouts are about balancing sweet, malt, bitter and roastiness. If you lower or get rid of the sweet in a cream stout, I would look at adjusting the other flavors too, especially the roastiness.

I like milk stouts as much as the next guy, but with that grain bill, mashing at 156 will probably give you plenty of mouthfeel and sweetness.

Crystal 120 is pretty potent stuff from what I've heard, maybe drop it down a little since you already have a lot going on. But what do I know, I like my stouts to have one or two great flavour and not much complexity.

Latest posts

Back