Quad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersydoesit

Reaction score
New Glarus brewing used to make what they called a Belgian Quad.
It was high AVG, golden in color , not too sweet, but otherwise had stuff in common with trippels I've known.

I've brewed a few trippels, but I'd like to get them lighter and somewhat less sweet.

If I use lighter extract, add the sugar later will that help?
Any other methods?

Thanks

When you say the New Glarus Quad, were you referring to their "unplugged" quad? That is quite the crazy beer, and not really a traditional quad whatsoever.

The quad is sort of an odd classification. It usually is darker in color than a tripel, and I would liken it closer to a dark strong in most instances.

I think what you're really looking for is more of a belgian golden strong. If you want the characteristics of a tripel, but less sweet, you just need to make a beer similar in style, but get it to dry out more.

If you're looking to get it as dry as possible, use a decent amount of sugar. This is one style that couldn't hurt from an addition after fermentation has already started (not something I do often, but I know it is a commonly accepted practice.)

I think the most important thing to do when looking for a dry belgian is have good temperature control. Start fermenting at 68. Let it raise to 72-74 for a couple of days, and then ramp it up to 80+. The yeast can take a long time and will sometimes just give up if it is too cold.

I would always use the lightest extract you could find for a recipe like this and use and specialty grains to impart any other flavor or color you might be interested in achieving.

Yeah, it is the "unplugged" I was thinking of.
I know it is a crazy beer, but hey I like it.

Thanks for the advice. I think I saw info on another thread about adding sugat after fementation has started.

It's an enzyme that continues breaking down the long chain sugars into beer yeast fermentable sugars and helps increase the fermentability of extracts.

Maybe someone added it to help reduce homebrew farts. *shrug*

Well the Belgian Strong Golden is read and it is a very good beer. I'm sure it will continue to improve with age.

It is on the right track towards that New Glarus "Quad". Good advice, Thanks Carnevoodoo.
Regards.

Back