Beer of the week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thinking more about the line-up for upcoming weeks.... (and I'm being America-centric here)

if we want to try and select beers that most people can easily get, I think we are going to have to drink a lot of lagers. But, for ales we should be able to use Pete's or Sam Adams or some of the bigger UK imports (Bass, Newcastles, Guinness, Sammy Smiths).

Maybe we can start each week (monday) by deciding what to drink, give people the time to aquire it, and then drink them on Friday.

-walker

Baron von BeeGee said:
MHL == decent cheap beer IMO, PBR as well. I know when I go to somebody else's party with cheap beer (and byob wouldn't be appropriate) I always reach for a PBR or HL if they're available.
PBR is a classic....if there is to be a cheap american swill of the night, i'm always pleased to find that said swill has won a blue ribbon.... :rockin:

Imperial Walker said:
thinking more about the line-up for upcoming weeks.... (and I'm being America-centric here)

if we want to try and select beers that most people can easily get, I think we are going to have to drink a lot of lagers. But, for ales we should be able to use Pete's or Sam Adams or some of the bigger UK imports (Bass, Newcastles, Guinness, Sammy Smiths).

Maybe we can start each week (monday) by deciding what to drink, give people the time to aquire it, and then drink them on Friday.

-walker

I second this, and promise not to blow it early next time.

I feel the need to add two extremely valuable links to this thread.

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Forty-Hands

This is a game I used to play in college. The MHL and 40 ounce stuff early made me think of it.

2) http://www.bevmo.com/productlist.asp?area=home

Recent Supreme Court decision made in legal for beer stores to ship beer throughout the US, so if there is a beer that people can't get in their area, they can probably get it thru this website.

P.S. I feel most of the value of the post came from the first link. Also, if you do a google search for edward fortyhands you'll come up with some great pictures.

first time ive seen this thread...huh. Im definitly in for this, starting next week. I've drank a lot of MHL in my day, and cant bring myself to down another one. I would suggest a Bell's but those of you not in the midwest would have trouble finding them. Could always do a Stone, they seem to be fairly easy to find.

Whitay said:
first time ive seen this thread...huh. Im definitly in for this, starting next week. I've drank a lot of MHL in my day, and cant bring myself to down another one. I would suggest a Bell's but those of you not in the midwest would have trouble finding them. Could always do a Stone, they seem to be fairly easy to find.

Yeah, can everyone get Stone? Should we try for the IPA? We'll do an Arrogant Bastard tasting down the road.....

I think next week let's try for Newcastle though...anyone can get that, right?

So tomorrow night, around 8 EST? Just start posting what you taste, think, whatever. Try to keep it constructive but let's have fun too. I'll start the thread sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Bjorn Borg said:
hells yeah Stone IPA! Can i cheat and drink one now???

You bet!!!!

On another note....
Does anyone else find it cool/strange/odd/wonderful that we are priviliged to have both Bjorn Borg AND Ivan Lendl on our homebrewing forum?

The Happier Pitcher said:
I hate to butt in again, but tomorrow is St. Pat's day. Maybe we should do guiness? Crud, I'll just shut up, we're all ready to roll.

Yeah, if I didn't have my head up my a$$ I would have though of that. WTF, Should we do both? I'm sure after drinking the nasty MHL, we'll need an ale to wash it down.

I'm game.

So everyone, buy a sixer of guinness draft, in either bottles or cans, and we'll do that as well. :rockin:

EDIT: Save the Guinness Foreign Stout (or whatever it is) for another day, that is a whole different animal for tasting purposes.

Dude said:
Does anyone else find it cool/strange/odd/wonderful that we are priviliged to have both Bjorn Borg AND Ivan Lendl on our homebrewing forum?
i thought that was strange, too.... but then i realized that Bjorn and Ivan were, in fact, one and the same.... then i didn't think it was as cool anymore...but still cool... i guess... sort of....
:D

Lou said:
i thought that was strange, too.... but then i realized that Bjorn and Ivan were, in fact, one and the same.... then i didn't think it was as cool anymore...but still cool... i guess... sort of....
:D

i simply gave myself a promotion, although its hard to find someone better then ivan lendl, rod laver? pete sampras? ( i hate sampras, but hes probably the best of all time)

Dude said:
Save the Guinness Foreign Stout (or whatever it is) for another day, that is a whole different animal for tasting purposes.
That's a great one to put on the list. And they carry it just about every major market.

i walked over to the grocery store just a few minutes ago to pick up my MHL...

THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY!

Now... I'm all for this whole concept of Beer o' the Week, but I can't really see myself going on a little pilgrimage to find a 40 of this swill.

-walker

Another suggestion for this weekly tasting would be my favorite big beer of choice..... STEEL RESERVE! In the 16 oz CANS.

Oh look, there's two nice young men in their clean white coats.... oh thanks, I'd love to try the jacket on..... Uh, guys, I can't get my arms through the jacket..... ahg they're tied up behind me. lil help?

Hopefully us newbies are invited. I really like this idea. I have always drank beer (any kind) but not really paid attention to the specifics.

I'm in...need to include 90 at some point.

(90 Schilling)

Imperial Walker said:
but I can't really see myself going on a little pilgrimage to find a 40 of this swill.

No one said it had to be in a 40!!! You can get a 6 pack of bottles at pretty much any store for like 3 and a half bucks. Buy the bottles and drink what you can stomach, use the rest to simmer brats (the wonderful German sausage kind of brat, not the kids) in. That's what I do.

If I weren't on this stupid motherfreaking diet, I'd make brats for lunch during my brew day tomorrow. :mad:

jro16 said:
Hopefully us newbies are invited.

You are a member of the forum, aren't ya?

Dude said:
No one said it had to be in a 40!!!
Sorry for being misleading...

They didn't have ANY High Life at the grocery store.. no cans... no bottles... no 40s... nada. I walked up and down "that end" of the beer aisle for 15 minutes looking for it.

I was going to grab the guinness while I was there, but I couldn't remember which type I was supposed to get.

-walker

PS: I must admit, I've been hearing a lot of commercials lately for Mich. Ultra Amber, and I kind of curious what it tastes like. Maybe we can throw that on on the BOTW schedule sometime?

Imperial Walker said:
Sorry for being misleading...

They didn't have ANY High Life at the grocery store.. no cans... no bottles... no 40s... nada. I walked up and down "that end" of the beer aisle for 15 minutes looking for it.

I was going to grab the guinness while I was there, but I couldn't remember which type I was supposed to get.

-walker

PS: I must admit, I've been hearing a lot of commercials lately for Mich. Ultra Amber, and I kind of curious what it tastes like. Maybe we can throw that on on the BOTW schedule sometime?

Oh, gotcha....but...Raleigh only has 1 grocery store? :p

I have no desire to try the amber after I tried the Ultra. Yikes.

Walker, on a separate note....please save me a couple of bottles of your IPA, Porter and Pandoras for when we meet up at the Beer fest? 1 of each is fine, I just want to sample it.
I'll bring you some LWPA, Hellfire, and the Honey Pale and the Honey Wheat I'm doing in the next few batches.

Dude said:
Oh, gotcha....but...Raleigh only has 1 grocery store? :p
Within walking distance of my house, yes.

Dude said:
Walker, on a separate note....please save me a couple of bottles of your IPA, Porter and Pandoras for when we meet up at the Beer fest? 1 of each is fine, I just want to sample it.
If you are not above drinking extract beer, you got it, but I don't think I'll be able to give you a Pandora. I've got two bottles left, but it has developed a weird tang to it (I've posted here someplace that I think the LME from my LHBS is to blame... both the Pandora and Gruagach have the same off flavor after a few months.)

The IPA is WAY hoppy...hopefully it stays that way for the next 6 weeks. (and I forgot my irish moss... it's super cloudy).

The Porter is conditioning now, so hopefully it comes out good.

I might still have a Espresso Stout laying around at that time if you want one. It's mellowed quite a bit (lost a bit of the big roasty taste) but it's still good.

Dude said:
I'll bring you some LWPA, Hellfire, and the Honey Pale and the Honey Wheat I'm doing in the next few batches.
DEFINATELY interested in trying the Hellfire and Lake Walk. Not much of a honey or wheat beer drinker, but I'm always willing to try something that might change my mind.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
If you are not above drinking extract beer, you got it,

Pffff.....I actually think some of my extract brews were better than my AG stuff. My first batch of LWPA was extract and 4 AG batches later I still can't replicate it. The latest is close, but....

I love beer, I'm not above anything!

I'm just actually looking forward to meeting you guys!

Back