Modified Palilalia IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jublin

Reaction score
I'm modifying Papazian's Palilalia IPA (or just doing my own, but this was my base). I've got most of my ingredients, but I'm looking for advice on additional hops to add, if any, and when.

Here's what I have so far

1 lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Toasted Barley
8lbs Amber Extract (7 syrup and 1 dry leftover from a previous batch)

2oz Northern Brewer @60 min
1 oz Simcoe (1/2 @10min, then either 1/2 @1-2 min or 1/4 @2-3 + 1/4 @ FO)

WL California Ale yeast

I'm pondering an ounce or two of Cascade, but I'm not sure this would need it, or when in the boil (thinking 30 min). I'm a pretty big hophead but I don't want to mix hops that don't compliment each other much.

If you want a big hop aroma I'd add another 2-4 oz of hops both at the end of the boil and for a dry hop. Amarillo/Simcoe is a classic combination, but pretty much any American "C" hop could be a good addition (Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Chinook etc...).

I'm going to forgo dry hopping I think for this batch, but I'll definitely get some more for the end of the boil, and maybe more in the middle as well. Once I finish my kegerator setup, I intend to do some dry hopping for some batches (ala BierMuncher's method).

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back