A nice compact yeast cake -- not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Denny's Favorite in a RyePA after four weeks in primary. I might have 3 gallons of beer:

yeastcake.jpg

My Smoked RyePA fermented out with Dennys Favorite and I had a loose cake but not as crazy as yours, I cold crashed it at 33° for 5 days and that compacted it well enough so I could rack 5 gallons.

Whoa that's intense! The most yeast I ever have had in one go was with a Pacman smack pack, but at best it was 1 inch tall. Your situation... thats a lot of yeast and a little beer. Wonder if its due to the starter pitch rate.

I'm assuming that most of that is just clinging to the side of the bottle, no? and not a 3-4 inch cake.....

This^^

I had what looked like a 2" yeast cake in secondary, but it ended up being about 1/8 inch that was curved up onto the side of the carboy. Got a full 5.2 gallons of super clear beer!

I was going to write this long funny way of building this crazy contraption. BUT.... i've been drinkin and that aint happenen. :rockin: BEER!!!

I've had that happen, too. Is it because not enough crap gets filtered out?? I've also noticed that when this happens, the beer doesn't hit desired FG, so it was obviously concentrated to begin with. Adding a bit of water at bottling time seems to solve this, and the beer tastes as it normally does.

Back