Yeast cell count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattstanke

Reaction score
Made a double IPA with a OG1.094. I made a 1000mil water 1/2 cup DME yeast starter. It has been about 30hr and is fermenting well multiple bubbles every 2 to 5 sec. I guess my question is I was excepting it to blow off does this mean I should off added more yeast and if so when should I add more

No, blow off or lack of blow off is not an indication of yeast health or vitality. Have you had a chance to take a look at the yeast pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com? It can be a great help. FYI, for an ale at the gravity you hit, it suggests a bigger starter than you made. But, if you have active fermentation, all is well.

Different yeasts and different grain bills will have varying chances of needing a blow off. Krausen, or lack thereof, does not necessarily indicate yeast health or pitching amount.

Only the rate of fermentation and the attenuation can tell you for sure if you pitched enough healthy yeast.

If it's going good now, then just let it continue. It will likely be fine. Although that does sound like a small starter for a beer of that Original Gravity.

Back