How long should I leave my hefe in primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I brewed a generic brewers best hefe kit but used white labs WLP300 as my yeast. It's been in primary for a week and I do not use secondary so how much longer should it stay?? another week or two? I did not take an og reading yet but I'm pretty sure its finished.

Also, the krausen that forms on top of your beer usually drops down again right?? because I have a nice layer of im guesing its yeast cake on the top...

I'd say 10 days minimum, longer if the gravity isn't stable. Wheat beers don't need to age long.

The krausen drops down eventually. I've heard of it sticking around on wheat beers for awhile.

I've got a Hefe in the primary too. I think I'll leave it 10-14 days, then bottle. I've never made one before so it makes me uneasy to bottle it that soon. "They" say Hefes are better young.

So I just took my first FG sample and sip of a hefe I've had in primary for just shy of six days. First couple days of fermentation were ridiculously vigorous (looked like the wort was boiling below the surface -- I made the mistake of allowing too high a temperature early on) and it's been sorta quiet for the last two days or so. FG = 1.014, which is way off the recipe, and I didn't really get a good OG (what I got was so far from the recipe, I'm sure it was wrong).

That said, it tasted pretty good for warm beer. It's definitely well on it's way to being a decent beer, I think. I'm going to let it sit a few more days and keep doing FG samples.

+1 to mojotele...without the OG reading, I would say at least 10-14 days. You won't be in danger if you let it stay even a little longer than that, just to make sure fermentation in completely done...you don't want any bottle bombs, especially since hefes typically have higher carbonation as a style

Back