Let me see your sausage!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Older batch, haven't done any in a while but been meaning to.
Just a basic italian but to get you going I'll post.
If this isn't what you want you'll have to pony up and go to the boneyard;)

DSCF0916.jpg

All I have is duck sausage at the moment. But I don't think the mods will let me post any pics.

Next week I'm ordering my kitchen aid attachment so I can get in the sausage game will make sure to update.

Here is some Lincolnshire sausage I made recently. Pork shoulder, white breadcrumbs. The spice seasoning is, sage, white pepper, coriander, nutmeg. They were delicious and just like the ones from our local butcher back home. The pint is a Yorkshire style bitter that I brewed that we had with them and of course mashed potatoes, peas and onion gravy!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389185527.510433.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389185928.226444.jpg

Here is some Lincolnshire sausage I made recently. Pork shoulder, white breadcrumbs. The spice seasoning is, sage, white pepper, coriander, nutmeg. They were delicious and just like the ones from our local butcher back home. The pint is a Yorkshire style bitter that I brewed that we had with them and of course mashed potatoes, peas and onion gravy!
View attachment 170912
View attachment 170915

Nice sausage!

View attachment 170912
View attachment 170915

Short pint!

View attachment 170912
View attachment 170915

Do you mind sharing the recipe for the Yorkshire bitter that went with these?

Here's a few pictures of past adventures... (I apologize in advance if resolutions are way off)
Salami Lucchese
DSC_8334a%20-%20Lucchese%20sliced.jpg

Bologna
2013%20bologna%20-a.jpg

hot dogs
2013%20hot%20dogs%20-a.jpg

And my most recent triumph, a Venison bone-in ham
2013%20Venison%20Ham%20a%20-a.jpg

Do you mind sharing the recipe for the Yorkshire bitter that went with these?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Yorkshire Bitter

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 3.73%
IBU (rager): 34.12
SRM (morey): 6.93

FERMENTABLES:
4 oz - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (3.1%)
6.75 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (82.4%)
8 oz - Cane Sugar (6.1%)
0.5 lb - Torrified Wheat (6.1%)
3 oz - United Kingdom - Dark Crystal 80L (2.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - First Gold, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.93
1 oz - First Gold, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min, IBU: 0
1 oz - First Gold, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.19

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 151 F, Time: 90 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - West Yorkshire 1469
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 71%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 75
Mg2: 5
Na: 40
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 110
Water Notes:
note i used the brewers friend software to formulate this but my BIAB efficiency is not anywhere near 75%. I use a calculator called the Biabacus from biabrewer.info and it calculates my grain bill for my equipment. If you go with the percentages and your efficiency it should turn out nicely

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2014-01-10 12:44 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2013-05-21 18:44 UTC

Thanks for the recipe, Porchfddler. Looks good. I'm trying to settle on a recipe for my first Ordinary Bitter. The sugar is interesting in such a low gravity beer. Have you brewed it without before too, if so, do you find any appreciable changes in mouthfeel, etc.?

I hate to get too off topic, so I'll try to contribute to the thread. I haven't made sausages more than a few times. I just got a hand-me-down cast iron sausage press and was thinking about getting into it again. I thought I might start with something like a surf and turf sausage, maybe shrimp or scallops and pork or chicken. Anyone done anything like that before and have a recipe?

Even kids can do it. My youngest, Alex, on the right, with his friend Mitchell. Making boudin blanc. (It sucked BTW - way too much onion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9IBEGDxzF0

Is that style stuffer usable without a helper? I currently have a Dakotah water stuffer that I would like to replace with a vertical stuffer as I don't like having to go without my faucet when stuffing. I've also thought about adding a hose bib underneath my sink to get the same thing, but I'd also like a stuffer that can handle a full batch of sausage without having to be reloaded.

I'd like to get the Cabelas (Weston) model as it accepts the motor attachment, but I had been planning to get it in stages, first the stuffer and then the motor later, but if it is difficult to use with just one person, it means I'd have to get the 2 together. I generally make 20 pound batches when I do sausage.

Is that style stuffer usable without a helper? I currently have a Dakotah water stuffer that I would like to replace with a vertical stuffer as I don't like having to go without my faucet when stuffing. I've also thought about adding a hose bib underneath my sink to get the same thing, but I'd also like a stuffer that can handle a full batch of sausage without having to be reloaded.

I'd like to get the Cabelas (Weston) model as it accepts the motor attachment, but I had been planning to get it in stages, first the stuffer and then the motor later, but if it is difficult to use with just one person, it means I'd have to get the 2 together. I generally make 20 pound batches when I do sausage.

I've always done it myself. One person, no problem.

From Grizzley, $85. Great 5# stuffer for a great price. Only takes a few minutes to knock out a batch. Even for 20#, I can't see a big advantage in a motorized unit. But I've never used one, so maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252

I've always done it myself. One person, no problem.

From Grizzley, $85. Great 5# stuffer for a great price. Only takes a few minutes to knock out a batch. Even for 20#, I can't see a big advantage in a motorized unit. But I've never used one, so maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252

That looks like a decent stuffer for regular sized sausage and summer sausage. I do a fair bit of "slim Jim" sized sausages (snack sticks) and have some doubts on the durability of the plastic gears.

The vertical stuffers like that look like they need at least 3 hands to make work: one to turn the crank, another to stabilize the stuffer itself, and a third to control the casings as you are stuffing.

At least this is how I am currently using my water stuffer. I found a foot operated water valve that I use to control the water flow, and I use one hand to hold the stuffer in place/apply back pressure on the casings so they fill properly, while the other hand controls the casings as they are filled. The whole process is pretty quick, I would say I'm extruding maybe a foot a second of snack stick sized sausage.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394197987.506152.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394198125.012639.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394198169.472409.jpg
Garden sausage with green and hot peppers, lamb and bacon sausage. Gonna try some smoke sausage next. Smoke meat first or smoke when sausage is already made? Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back