Blood Orange Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forddavid

Reaction score
Putting the finishing touches on a recipe and wanted to float it by the forum for advice as I'm still new to this. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated

STEEP FOR 30 MINUTES AT 155 DEGREES
2 lbs Belgian Munich Malt
1 lb UK wheat malt
.75 lb US Caramel Malt

ADD AT START OF BOIL
4 lb Golden Light DME
1 lb Amber DME
1 oz Coriander Seed

HOPS SCHEDULE
1 oz German Northern Brewer - 60 mins
.5 oz German Northern Brewer - 30 mins
1 oz German Tettnang - 20 mins

Wyeast 3711 - French Saison

TARGET STATS
OG- 1.053
FG- 1.010
ABV - 5.7%
IBU - 22
COLOR - 9.1 SRM

Why's it called blood orange, are you putting orange zest in it?

I'd just use the lightest DME you can get. Then you can adjust the color flavor with the steeped grains. Just make sure you don't steep in too much water because munich and the wheat malt need to mash not just steep. I like my saisons with out caramel malts. I prefer to use base malts and raw adjunct grains like wheat, spelt, or rye. I'm not saying to remove the caramel just saying what I like. You can brew it as it is and see how you like it, then brew another with out it to see which one you like better.

Now for a little advice on the coriander. I'd drop the amount down from a full ounce to at the most 0.5oz. My experience with coriander is that less is more. More can ruin the beer. Also unless you can get the football shaped Indian coriander I wouldn't even bother unless you want your beer to taste like celery.

Whoops, left out the blood orange zest. If I'm not set up for AG, can I still mash those grains or should I look elsewhere?

I would add the coriander 5-15 min before the end of the boil. Otherwise it will give a bitter taste.

You can just use to separate pots for the mini mash. Heat one up to about 150 and heat the other up to about 160. Mash in the first then drain and rinse in the second. Adjust water according to what you end up for a volume there. I'd aim for 1.5qts/lb for your mini mash.

Back