Question about bottling bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug

Reaction score
Hi folks...
In a week, I'll be bottling my first brew (amber ale). I have a bottling bucket and in the "How To Brew" guide, it appears that there is a length of tubing that hangs from the spigot of the bucket. I don't have a short piece of tubing like that. Should I just trim a length of tubing from my siphoning tubing? How long should the piece of tubing be? I'm getting very excited...:ban:

make sure that along with your tubing, you have a plan on how to stop the flow between bottles (and I don't suggest attempting to open and close the spigot each time). I like to use a bottling wand....cheap and easy, the way I like it :)

Some bottling tips I've read on this forum before, assuming you have a dishwasher in your kitchen:

- put the bottling bucket on the kitchen counter above dishwasher
- sanitized bottles in the dishwasher racks...I use the dishwasher as my drying rack. To satisfy my sanitation paranoia, I put no-rinse sanitizer in a spray bottle and spray liberally on the dish racks prior to putting the bottles on.
- the door of the dishwasher serves as the 'platform' for bottling. Set a few bottles on the door and fill. Once filled move them to your capping area. In our house, SWMBO does the bottling while I cap, but I have done the whole thing solo. If you do bottle by yourself, get something to help in tipping the bucket as you get to the bottom. The spigot on my bucket is an inch or two above the bottom, so there are a couple of bottles of beer that require tipping in order to get bottled properly. I usually use a phone book, which allows me to be down by the bottles while steadying the bucket.
- Definitely use a bottling wand.
- Once your done, most of the mess will be contained on the dishwasher door. Cleanup by closing the door, spilled beer will drop into the dishwasher.

I use the upper dishwasher rack to 'control' my excess tubing, but a shorter length may work better (I'm just too cheap/lazy to have separate pieces of tubing for my various chores.

BrewDey said:
I just use my siphoning tube and stick one end on the spigot and the other end on a bottling wand.

Me too.

If you want to get another piece it is incredibly cheap at Home Depot. Take the spigot with you that way you know it will fit.

brewt00l said:
make sure that along with your tubing, you have a plan on how to stop the flow between bottles (and I don't suggest attempting to open and close the spigot each time). I like to use a bottling wand....cheap and easy, the way I like it :)

I never even thought about that...hmm. I'd better hop down to the hop shop and grab one. I don't want to waste even one precious drop! :mug:

BruDaddy said:
Some bottling tips I've read on this forum before, assuming you have a dishwasher in your kitchen:

- put the bottling bucket on the kitchen counter above dishwasher
- sanitized bottles in the dishwasher racks...I use the dishwasher as my drying rack. To satisfy my sanitation paranoia, I put no-rinse sanitizer in a spray bottle and spray liberally on the dish racks prior to putting the bottles on.
- the door of the dishwasher serves as the 'platform' for bottling. Set a few bottles on the door and fill. Once filled move them to your capping area. In our house, SWMBO does the bottling while I cap, but I have done the whole thing solo. If you do bottle by yourself, get something to help in tipping the bucket as you get to the bottom. The spigot on my bucket is an inch or two above the bottom, so there are a couple of bottles of beer that require tipping in order to get bottled properly. I usually use a phone book, which allows me to be down by the bottles while steadying the bucket.
- Definitely use a bottling wand.
- Once your done, most of the mess will be contained on the dishwasher door. Cleanup by closing the door, spilled beer will drop into the dishwasher.

I use the upper dishwasher rack to 'control' my excess tubing, but a shorter length may work better (I'm just too cheap/lazy to have separate pieces of tubing for my various chores.

Whoa...you have this down to an art form! This technique sounds like a winner. Thanks!

I hope this goes o.k. I got impatient and wanted to rack this beer into secondary a week ago, against the suggestions of the "How To Brew" author. I opted to leave it in primary the whole time. Lgtg said something that really resonated with me about addressing my impatience, so I did it this way to prove to myself that I can leave something well enough alone. I know it won't be the most clear beer, but now I'll have the experience of knowing a beer that's been kept in primary...I brewed another batch in the interim to take the edge off, which really seemed to help. I know this won't be the best beer I ever make, but it will probably be the most exciting for me! :mug:

Junebug said:
I hope this goes o.k. I got impatient and wanted to rack this beer into secondary a week ago, against the suggestions of the "How To Brew" author.
This is exactly my plan. The PA I have fermenting now I do not plan to rack to secondary, but rather plan to follow Palmer's directions. I am going to repeat this recipe this weekend and rack that batch. It serves the purpose of using the double ingredients I purchased (was sold) as well as controlling one variable and observing the difference.

I look at this as a learning experience. This is how I am with cooking as well. Everyone snickers that I follow the recipe precisely the first time. That allows me to know what it is supposed to do and then I can modify the next time through.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back