Kegged for the first time today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
My uncle hooked me up with a 5 gallon soda keg, co2 tank and a regulator he use to use for wine he made. So I cleaned it and got new hoses for it. Brewed a Bells Oberon clone and kegged it today with 1/3 cup of priming sugar and 20psi. I will say it was so nice not to bottle, I'm thrilled.

You might want to take it off of the gas ASAP and let it naturally carb so you don't wind up overcarbed. Unless you want to bleed off excess gas every few hours.

I left the keg hooked up to the regulator so I could see the pressure but closed the tank. I decided to naturally carb and just did the 20psi to seal.

+1 on taking the CO2 out. next time do one or the other. if your going to prime only put in a few psi like 5 or so (probably less) just to get the lid gasket to seal properly. also you may want to cut the last few inches of the liquid out line so you don't suck up as much yeast.

next time just do the CO2 there are plenty of sites out there to help you figure out how much pressure to put on your beer.

+1 on taking the CO2 out. next time do one or the other. if your going to prime only put in a few psi like 5 or so (probably less) just to get the lid gasket to seal properly. also you may want to cut the last few inches of the liquid out line so you don't suck up as much yeast.

next time just do the CO2 there are plenty of sites out there to help you figure out how much pressure to put on your beer.

In my experience, naturally carbing in the keg only leads to about a pint and a half of yeast sediment and then nothing but clear beer afterward. No need to cut the dip tube...

Back