All Grain to Extract conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylansDad

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've noticed a lot of excellent recipes in the All Grain format (for obvious reasons) but for a n00b is a there any good way to convert an all grain to an extract recipe? I noticed Beersmith does it, but how well does it convert it?

The big reason is I have no space for the all grain stuff in our small living quarters.

Thanks,
Dave

It does an ok version, as far as extract amounts go. It helps with the hops calculations when you change them. It's just a computer program though, so it is always good to post it up here on the forum and have some one with more experience take a look.

I did a conversion in Beersmith once, for example, that added two pounds of caramel malt in the conversion! That would not be a "good" conversion. Overall, though, it's ok.

You can tell the program what to use to replace 2-row, munich malt, etc, so it does have some flexibility built in.

Howdy!

First of all, you can always get around small spaces in order to do an AG brew. Also, yeah Beersmith is going to be correct. It simply substitutes your base grains (2-row and the such) for extract and balances it to come up with a similar OG. You'll be fine

Thanks. After doing some more reading and thinking, I may stick to Extracts and Partials for a bit. Why rush this new found love? Plus I won't really be able to taste my first batches for a little bit, so I have time to do more learning.

I'm too eager!

Back