Scaling up a recipe? (5 gal to 10 gal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckinWA

Reaction score
I'm almost done with a new boil kettle made from a keg. I have a recipe I've brewed before in mind for it's maiden boil, but I'm unsure of how to scale the recipe up for a 10 gallon batch. Any tips? Thanks!

I was looking at this same topic.....If you use a brewing software, you should be able to set the percentages of grain and the OG and scale for the larger batch size. I use BeerAlchemy and I am able to do set the percentages, but I need to re-adjust the OG for the new batch size. It will adjust my hops accordingly though. Doubling will work for the most part, but your IBU will most likely be a little off, although probably undetectable. Especially since your boil off will be the same. So if you typically start with 7 gallons for a 5 gallon batch, you won't need to start with 14 for a 10 gallon batch. Your hop absorption will be greater, but you will boil off the same amount.

I have never tried using software, but maybe it's time to give it a go. I made my starter last night, so hopefully I can figure something out before brew day on Thursday. In the grand scheme it's not completely important that it comes out exactly as the recipe intended, just that the beer is good.

Software is definitely the way to go. I used a formula before but the brew software just does it all in one action. I’m using Brewer’s Friend.

But here’s the way to do it ...
“Scaling Recipes
When scaling a homebrew recipe within a reasonable range of homebrew volumes, all the ingredients scale linearly. For example, to scale a 5.0-gallon (19-L) recipe to any size, multiply the amount of each malt by the new batch size (in gallons or L), then divide each by 5.0 gallons or 19 L as appropriate. For example, if a 5-gallon recipe calls for 13 oz. of roasted barley, and you want to brew 3 gallons of it, multiply the grain weight by 3 gallons (giving you 39 oz.-gallons) and then divide by 5 gallons (giving you 7.8 oz.).

Scale the amount of hops the same way. If the recipe recommends a yeast starter volume, scale it in this manner.“

Info from http://beerandwinejournal.com/scaling/

Hope it helps. Cheers.

Software is definitely the way to go. I used a formula before but the brew software just does it all in one action. I’m using Brewer’s Friend.

But here’s the way to do it ...
“Scaling Recipes
When scaling a homebrew recipe within a reasonable range of homebrew volumes, all the ingredients scale linearly. For example, to scale a 5.0-gallon (19-L) recipe to any size, multiply the amount of each malt by the new batch size (in gallons or L), then divide each by 5.0 gallons or 19 L as appropriate. For example, if a 5-gallon recipe calls for 13 oz. of roasted barley, and you want to brew 3 gallons of it, multiply the grain weight by 3 gallons (giving you 39 oz.-gallons) and then divide by 5 gallons (giving you 7.8 oz.).

Scale the amount of hops the same way. If the recipe recommends a yeast starter volume, scale it in this manner.“

Info from http://beerandwinejournal.com/scaling/

Hope it helps. Cheers.
That is a help, except I am looking at going from a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe. I understand the wanting to scale down math. But is the 5 to 10 gallon as simple as doubling the grain bill and hop addition?

You can use the formula to scale up or down. But yes, I’d double everything to go from 5 to 10.

Back