American Brown Ale- Way too Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi HBT,
I brewed up my 4th all grain batch a few weeks ago, a clone Downtown Brown from AHS. It ended up way to dark....it is pretty much porter/stout black. Can any of you more experienced brewers help with what I might of done wrong, if anything. Here is the recipe for 5 gal.
8 lb 2-Row
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.75 lb Special Roast
3 oz Black Patent Malt
.5 lb Crystal 60L

Mashed at 149 for 60 minutes. Single Batch Sparge. Ferment at 68 F for 10 days. It even tastes more like a porter than an American Brown. I almost wonder if somehow the recipe got mixed up with a porter. Any thoughts or comments. Thanks. Al

Three ounces of BP is on the high side, most of my brown recipes that use it call for 1-2 ounces. Also, recipes that use BP, use less Chocolate, about 2 ounces less per ounce of BP. I think you would have been fine with one or the other OR half as much of each.

I brewed the One Down Brown from B3 a couple weeks ago and it is way darker than I expected, too.

there are things like water chemistry and how vigerous you boil was that will affect the color of the end product as well. More than likely I would guess that one of those is the culprit.

If it was a kit beer (and you didnt add anything to it) then it has to be a part of your process that got it a little darker.

Its still gonna be good I promise!

I've never had downtown brown so that recipe may be a clone. However, .5lb of chocolate and 3oz of black patent definitely roll into brown porter/porter territory. (for me)

I make a nut brown with .75lb Special Roast, 5oz chocolate, 1 lb of c-40 and it is definitely at upper limits for a brown ale in terms of color

Since I am a new AG brewer can anyone fill me in or point me in the right direction on how water chemistry and how vigourous a boil will effect color. My water is definetly on the harder side. I do full boils in a 30 qt kettle which allows a small boil but nothing crazy.

Back