Ingredients and efficiency variations....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I have my own grain mill now and since I've been using it I've consistently had 79-80% efficiency. However, there's one beer I make where it's always lower and I wonder why - my Belgian Wit's. My first AG belgian came out with 74% efficiency, which is fine of course, and that recipe had 2lbs of flaked wheat and .75lb of flaked oats in it. This latest Wit I did I used all flaked wheat instead of a combination of flaked wheat and pale wheat (Weyermann) - the amounts were 4lb flaked wheat and 1lb of flaked oats, and this time my efficiency was 73%, again not bad but I am wondering why these recipes with flaked components are coming out less than my typical efficiency.

Rev.

I always have trouble with wheat. My guess would be the grain kernel size as it is much smaller than the barley and not getting crushed as well. But I have always used malted wheat not flaked.

I always have trouble with wheat. My guess would be the grain kernel size as it is much smaller than the barley and not getting crushed as well. But I have always used malted wheat not flaked.

Shouldn't matter really. I crushed all my own grain except for the flaked components with my last Wit. Since it was 74% efficiency I figured this time around I would crush it all and it wasn't any different. I found the whole wheat gave me more efficiency.

Rev.

Back