dark layer on top after cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargaz97

Reaction score
hello...Might got me a problem. Figure i'd ask you intelligent folks out there for some input.

Maybe a bit premature as I have not tasted yet but figure i'd ask none the less. I have an amber ale that I just pulled out of the fridge. the top inch is almost a black color. I am about to bottle. Any ideas on this? going to try it now.

Okay, went to taste it and all seemed great. The black layer that seemed so obvious disappeared after a little sitting on the counter. Anyway, I bottled it all up. give it a while and ill open one and see.

Beer clears from the top down. That's why they say it'll "fall clear". It'll start to clear on the top first, then gradually clear all the way to the bottom. If you would have kept it cold another day or two, all of the beer would have been "dark" like that. That's because all of the light reflecting and lighter colored compounds (like yeast) fell out, so that it looks quite dark.

Back