Apparent Fermentation Restart Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipper

Reaction score
I have an Oatmeal Stout in secondary carboy. This after 10 days in primary and no activity in airlock - though gravity reading had not quite reached expected final. About a week after being in the secondary, a krausen began to form and fermentation definitely going on. Still going one week later. Two weeks in secondary so far.

This is a new one on me. Starting gravity around 1.062. Check at move to secondary was about 1.020. Expected FG somewhat less.

Does this make sense? Good thing? Bad thing? Won't know until some final gravity reached and taste buds get happy?

Also, know that my mash temp was higher than desired due to finding out I had a crappy thermometer. Maybe as much as 10F low.

It makes sense. If it was only at 1.020 when you racked to secondary, then it was probably still fermenting. It's not necessarily good or bad, but it's generally better to wait for fermentation to finish before racking to a secondary. I'm sure it will OK though.

If your mash temperature was lower than expected, then your wort is probably more fermentable, so your FG may be lower than what you are expecting.

-Steve

It happens sometimes. When you rack, you excite the yeast that was previously stalled. It takes a while for the yeast to build up enough to restart fermentation and finish its job.

Thanks.
I may not have been clear about the thermometer. It read lower than the actual temp meaning I was up to 10F higher during mashing than I should have been. Instead of 152F+-, I was likely 160F+.

Thanks.
I may not have been clear about the thermometer. It read lower than the actual temp meaning I was up to 10F higher during mashing than I should have been. Instead of 152F+-, I was likely 160F+.

You were clear. I totally misread that. So FG would be higher than expected.

-Steve

Back