F*cking Blichmann Brewmometer!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
I was all fired up to use this new toy on my MLT and right away the damned thing has issues! I mash in, hit my temps just fine and fire up the burner for mash-out. I'm stirring the entire time while heating, because I want to make sure to get a an accurate temp reading. I'm watching the dial every couple seconds and the dial goes up to 160, then 162, etc, slowly but surely. It gets to 165 and I'm thinking that this is weird it's taking longer than I expected, then I look and the dial is at 180, then 190!!!! I mean this happened in a matter of seconds!!!! This is not the first time I've seen something like this!!!! Grrrrrr. And yes, I calibrated the Brewmometer before using it. Anyone else have an issue with this?????

Dude, that sucks. I would be very frustrated, too.

I installed digital probe thermos on my MLT and HLT. I think they're really made monitoring the temps easy. I'm using cheapy $15 Walmart thermos, but they've been accurate and haven't had any quirks.

yeah, if you put aquarium type airline around the probe and wire on a cheap digital oven thermometer, it works great. mine didn't even need calibration adjustment.

it almost sounds like the spring the dial is on was hung up on something and then finally popped past it. 'break in' period perhaps??

malkore said:
yeah, if you put aquarium type airline around the probe and wire on a cheap digital oven thermometer, it works great. mine didn't even need calibration adjustment.

it almost sounds like the spring the dial is on was hung up on something and then finally popped past it. 'break in' period perhaps??

yeah the cheap digital is my "old" system. i was trying to cut down on the crap i have to deal with on brew day:(

Sure hope you're right about the break-in thing.:eek:

Sorry guys/gals, I have not posted yet because I have been lurking around trying to figure all this out. Here is my first contribution: I did notice when tilting the bremometer up the indicator contacts the back plate and stops it from moving without resistance. Straighten it out a little and you will see the tip of the hand move away from the back plate with the numbers on it. This should stop the dragging. I hope this was it.

It sounds like you might have had an air bubble messing up your reading. "Steam" is naturally going to be much hotter than liquid water... I had the same problem when i tried installing one into my 1/2" coupler in the bottom of my brew pot... I hope that helps.

It sounds like you might have had an air bubble messing up your reading. "Steam" is naturally going to be much hotter than liquid water... I had the same problem when i tried installing one into my 1/2" coupler in the bottom of my brew pot... I hope that helps.

I'm guessing this has been sorted out since it happened 3 years ago.

Latest posts

Back