Pink Foam Ferm Heat Chamber Pics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyby

Reaction score
Looking to build a basic pink foam box for a fermentation heat chamber, that will hold 2 carboys.

What do you have that will gradually heat the chamber, but not melt the foam like I'm worried a ceramic heat lamp will do? Looking for a quick, easy home depot project.

(ed. I have searched and have seen some involved chambers, looking for simple)

A simple lightbulb should do just fine. I mounted a lightbulb base in mine, but have yet to use it as it's still too warm out.

Here's what I did. I found a local hotel that was remodeling and selling the old fridges for $20. I took the door off, and installed it into my pink box. I used exactly one sheet of pink foam. The heat comes from a 60w lamp.

The control is a STC-1000 in a cigar box.

ForumRunner_20121029_060938.jpg

ForumRunner_20121029_060957.jpg

ForumRunner_20121029_061019.jpg

ForumRunner_20121029_061047.jpg

I built an insulation box for heating because most of the year the basement is <70F and I'm a bottler. I do 4+ week primary fermentations and it's easy to move an ale from a small temperature controlled chest freezer to this and brew another batch.

It has a Johnson A419 controller and a home-made 8W resistance heater running on a 9V adapter with a PC fan.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/heated-box-358266/

I had an interesting experience with using a lightbulb on my stc-1000 for heat control in a fridge. You can read about how I melted the ale pale (with pics!) here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/oh-no-my-ale-pail-melted-309829/

I still use a light bulb though it is anchored more securely now. I really like the yellow shield on on the pics earlier in this thread; that is a nice, safe idea.

if I were to redo my chamber, I would choose the reptile heating pads/tape.

Back