Another from Portland, OR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Just getting back into brewing. I started when I was 19 in Eugene, OR about 1996. I brewed quite a lot of beer then, even did a framboise. After I turned 21 a bunch of life happened and I stopped. I am now married and have settled down a bit and got the bug again. I started again with a simple all extract brew with my wife (same weizen recipe I started with all those years ago). After that a partial mash arrogant bastard clone and a young's double chocolate clone. I've been trying to brew every saturday, I took last weekend off to upgrade equipment. I cut and valved three old kegs. This weekend I'm making up for it. I am stepping up to my first all grain (another weizen) and another so far undecided brew (maybe a lambic).

My equipment now is 3 keg gravity system, propane burner fired now. I'm planing 3 tier gravity, all electric RIMS setup (with pump). I have 3-6.5gal, 3-6 gal and 1-5 gallon fermenters. I have a keg fridge that fits 6 cornies and has 3 taps. I have 4 hop plants growing in the back yard. I also have 2 retired merlot barrels on the way from my parents winery for long term sour beers. In addition to the winery my parents have an 800 acre wheat farm in eastern washington. I plan to get a couple bushels of wheat from my Dad late this summer. :rockin:

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you are back in with a vengeance. Do you happen to have a recipe for the young's double chocolate? Did it turn out well? I'm interested in making that beer.

Welcome, it sounds like you've got quite the setup! Perhaps we'll have an opportunity to lift a homebrewed pint sometime!

The double choco and the bastard are set to be kegged this weekend. I couldn't find a good recipe for the double chocolate so its a mix of a few. Its more of a cross between Young's Double Chocolate and Young's Oatmeal Stout which is my all time favorite and unavailable in the states for a long time and now completely out of production after the merger with Wells...

Greetings from another Portlander!
Thanks for the Arrogant Bastard recipe EvilTOJ! I also have a beer planned that is based on your Ruby recipe with some wheat and cherries instead of raspberries. The QFC at 56th and e burnside has cherries for $2.99# right now, I have 9#'s in the fridge

So bring some of that double chocolate to the next OBC meeting. The next general meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 11th at F.H. Steinbart (SE 12th & Pine) at 7:30 PM.

You'll be welcome there, as here.

Back