tartness from hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rycov

Reaction score
i brewed a wheat beer in january. it was in the fermenter for three weeks and has now been in the keg for two days. (i know its not done carbing yet, though it does have some) i just tested to see what it tastes like. over all pretty good. but it had this bitter kinda tartness at the back of my mouth. i used 10lbs white wheat malt 2oz cascade bittering and 1 oz cascade aroma. so i dont think i over hopped it. actually it tastes pretty balanced (for me anyway). i was wondering if it still needs some time to mellow out? thanks guys

ok. its also one of the lightest brews i've done so far so i was a little worried that maybe its always been there and my other beers just covered it. like something wrong with my process. i knew it wasn't ready. just havent had that flavor yet. its just kinda screwing up an other wise great beer. thanks man

First off that seems like a lot of wheat malt did you use anything else?Your gonna get that if its all you used . I made a wheat with dme and steeped white wheat malt and got some tartness,just part of the white wheat character. Even more pronounced after 6 weeks in the bottle.Im going to try american wheat next, think this one is has differnet characteristics.

yeah. there seems to be some of that from the wheat but the bitter tartness im talking about, im pretty sure is coming from the hops. hoping it will mellow out a bit. oh and no, i just used wheat malt and rice hulls

figured it out... ready for it? sanitizer in my tap line. this was my first all grain so i was worried that i f ed it up. wow. i'm an idiot. tastes good now that its not mixed half and half with sanitizer

Back