CAD Packages / Google Sketchup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oedipus Rex said:
Anyone use SolidWorks, ProE, SurfCam or MasterCam?
I'm an Automotive Tooling Engineer ( I design the tools that mass produce parts of cars) and I use ProE. I used Autocad (Mechanical Desktop) before that.
I have also used Virtual Gibbs (when I used to programe CNC's)

FSR402 said:
I'm an Automotive Tooling Engineer ( I design the tools that mass produce parts of cars) and I use ProE. I used Autocad (Mechanical Desktop) before that.
I have also used Virtual Gibbs (when I used to programe CNC's)

That's really neat. I don't use ProE, but have it. Many times I have to import a ProE drawing into MasterCam. I usually use MasterCam when cutting most 2 dimensional parts. Sometimes SolidWorks when making molds. It really depends on the application.

:mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
Sketchup kicks ass. I've used it a few times. I hope they come out with a Linux version soon - apparently there's been controversy over that.

Wow, I'm impressed ! I draw with QCad. It works well, but it isn't 3D. I loved the looks of that drawing.

I am going to build myself a mill too. I'm just about to start. I have a CNC lathe and a mill, so that gives me a bit of head start. I could turn rollers for people if there was consistency and enough demand. I have a bunch of 2"ish shaft sitting here ready to use. Its not SS though...

At first glance I'd use pillow block roller bearings instead of bronze bushings. I'll take a closer look in the near future.

Oedipus Rex said:
That's really neat. I don't use ProE, but have it. Many times I have to import a ProE drawing into MasterCam. I usually use MasterCam when cutting most 2 dimensional parts. Sometimes SolidWorks when making molds. It really depends on the application.

:mug:

When I was making the switch from Acad to ProE I did that a lot. First I used Pro as a translator then I started doing fillets that Acad said it cold not be done then I started doing some surface clean up and so on. Next thing I know I did not even want to open Acad anymore. ProE can be a HUGE pain in the azz but if you use it the way it was meant to be used, it rocks.

[FONT=&quot]MasterCam is really cool because it has several different variations all rolled into one package. It has Design for architectural use, and Lathe, Mill and Wire for CNC use.[/FONT]

Sketchup isn't really the same as CAD in that you can't load it into a CNC for example. It's whole purpose is conceptual design. It's extremely cost effective though...free.

I've used autocad and Inventor before and sketchup is way more intuitive.

Just tried sketchup....it rocks :rockin:
I just went through all the video tutorials for version 6 and plan on reviewing the older 5 version tutorials.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Catia V5/Enovia here... Boeing 787 Designer's what I do... Old ACad from way back but I think it is cool with these new FREE drawing programs. I'll have to give this sketchup a try!

I did well in my college level Autocad R13 class but never made it to 3d drafting in it. It is ridiculous how intuitive sketchup is. If you have even a basic understanding of geometry, you can do really amazing things... for free.

I'm an Automotive Engineer, and I use Pro/E WF2 everyday. Way too expensive for home / recriation use (I've heard $10K per license per year, but not a hard figure). I need to check out the google sketch up tool. I hate stay late at work to do personal drawings.

I'm an IE, and we use ProE WildFire 2, SolidEdge and NX at work. I don't know NX very well, but am decent with the others. We also have MasterCam, but it is an ancient copy, and can only read dxf files made in version 14, not 2000.

I have both Pro and SolidEdge on my system now, though the SolidEdge is a floating license so I need to connect to the servers at work to mae sure no one else is using it before I can connect.

They are quite expensive pcs of software, 12k-ish for up in Canada. Designing locomotives must make my bosses some good loot.

/nice playmobile style fig in your sculpture asm fifelee...

Trodd said:
I'm an Automotive Engineer, and I use Pro/E WF2 everyday. Way too expensive for home / recriation use (I've heard $10K per license per year, but not a hard figure). I need to check out the google sketch up tool. I hate stay late at work to do personal drawings.

Our ProE license is about 5K, but you can buy a student/personal version for about $250. There are also deals on ebay for later versions. ProE is an awesome program and worth the cost of a personal version foe anyone who likes to design things.

I am making the switch to Revit. I know its not in the same level as what you M.E. use but as far as intuative programs I have not seen anything better. I was a cad drafter for 7-8 years now I only do 3d illustrations/animations using 3dsmax.

Yuri_Rage said:
Sketchup kicks ass. I've used it a few times. I hope they come out with a Linux version soon - apparently there's been controversy over that.

Sketchup works 100% fine under wine. Its a joke to install if you use wine-doors (click the "install sketchup" button, otherewise there are a couple of config items like most wine apps.

Maybe I'll have to give it a 2nd try. Dont' know what i am doing, and it was frustrating. Couldn't force it to make shapes in any paticular plane. Then when I finally got stuff drawn it wouldn't line up with something else I had drawn, then dont even get me started about rotating things.... I havn't seen the google sketchup for dummies videos... I'm assuming they are a must. Tried to follow the absolute crap instructions that are built in.... guess i'm just tarded when it comes to powerful software... I think the problem I had with it is it was doing EXACTLY what I was telling it to do... haha. I have done everything so far in paint... the one that comes with windows. It's more powerful than I thought it could be but i've WAY outgrown it. I want something 3d and I keep seeing people rave about it. Tonight after I goof with my equipment and it just gets too cold in the garage I'll be diving into those videos. Anyone have any tips? Anyone have any tricks that they want to share that they were excited to figure out?

Grimsawyer
I love using paint as well.
I was in the same beginner boat with sketchup too...Once I found the index page for Dummies I just went through all the chapters in one night. I was kind of sketchey at work the next morning :p

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Find a copy of Solidworks. It's super easy to use after you follow the tutorial. I bet you can find an old copy of solidworks 2000 for cheap.

7882-conicleproject.JPG

7882-conicleproject3.JPG

7882-image004.jpg

7882-image006.jpg

Grimsawyer said:
Anyone have any tricks that they want to share that they were excited to figure out?

Mostly just making sure you watch the reference colors. They tell you what plane you're on. There's a learning curve but there's really no more intuitive conceptual design software for this price.

I've used SolidWorks for years (As a hobbyist). It was used in the place I used to work, and a very good friend of mine got me started on it. My boss let me take a copy home to get to know it (for support), and I found out it is very easy to get started, and lots of info on how to do things.

I recommend looking for copies online. I think they have free/cheap version but not sure. Maybe Parts-only. I would think that Assembly would have to a necessity for most people though.

I find using a 3D design package like Solidworks or SolidEdge (I prefer SW, BTW) can really help eliminate mistakes, and encourage ideas to form. I've got lots of little projects drawn up in SW.

That sketch thing sounds very handy though! I might have to try it out.

Here is another bump for uploading your Sketchup models to the 3D Warehouse. A few of us are currently uploading things and it really speeds up design ideas if you have pre-made parts at your disposal. Just use keywords describing your part and also add in homebrewing or brewing or something else like that.

Here is my current design idea. Still a work in progress.

showphoto.php

I found a bunch of 1/2bbl kegs but the dimensions where dreadfully innacurate. I spent probably 30 minutes working on scaling the best one I found. When I get a chance, I'll upload my new keg and brewstand based on bedframes.

Back