Racking Beer Twice in a day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Both of my Better Bottles are in use right now. One with Apfelwein, one with AHS Pumpkin Ale.
The pumpkin Ale has been in primary for two weeks. There is a ton of trub... And I don't know how much beer I lost to trub. I am afraid of using too much priming sugar next week when it comes to bottling.
Should I rack it to a bucket, measure how much beer is there, clean out the trub and resanitize the Better Bottle, and re-rack it to the BB to finish for another week? Racking as quiet as possible to avoid oxygenation(is that a word?)

Or should I just leave it, and use priming sugar enough for 4 gallons assuming loosing at least a gallon to trub?

Thanks!
Dave

I would probably just leave it. I think that its assumed you will have about 4g of beer, maybe a little more, because of the pumpkin. Maybe use just a little less sugar than usual? That was my plan - I also have a pumpkin ale in primary.

I say leave it for a couple weeks longer. The trub layer should compact a bit and you can get a better feel for how much beer is actually in there.

As for priming sugar, it kind of depends on how much carbonation you were planning on giving it. You should be able to safely cheat the priming sugar 1/2 ounce either way.

i would leave it as well. Pumpkin as well as other fruits and spices really benefit from additional time in the carboy. Racking twice in one day may risk oxidation, it may not. It will be more of a pain in the butt to do it. Like others said let it settle out more and then rack it off.

Back