Yeast starter instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good yeast starter tutorial, or informational. I've done the search, and didn't find what I was looking for. I know there must be one out there. I'm going to be brewing a barleywine for next year and know I have to have lots of yeast, and maybe even several batches?

Although I've used a starter before, I feel that there must be more to it than I think I know now. I'm anxious to try out me new stir plate (well, it's not that new, but I've never used it before and my stir bar should arrive any day now). as well as understanding how much yeast to use and how to properly grow up a healthy batch.

Any links or pointers would be very much appreciated.

So, if I make up a batch of yeast in a good sized jar, and put it on the stir plate, then I can allow the yeast to grow until the Krausen has fallen, then refrigerate a day to separate the slurry from the liquid? The slurry is all I'm after right?

If so, how much of that will I need to pitch into a 2.5 Gallon batch of barleywine? Also, will I need to pitch again during fermentation?

You should check out Jamil's page. He has enough yeast information plus a pitching rate calculator that will give an amount of yeast needed for your barleywine. >> Mr Malty

That's more like what I had in mind. I like the calculator. I've always meant to check out his site, but never got around to it. Now if there was a site with Pictures! I'd be all set...

I also just noticed a yeast washing tutorial in a sticky. That is some good reading as well.

All this got me thinking" What if you were to employ the StirPlate technique to the initial fermentation? I imagine mounting the carboy/bucket on a slightly larger stirplate device and let that baby spin for a few days. Should provide more contact time between the yeast and their food, right? More healthy yeast. Faster Fermentation. What could be the downside?

I also just noticed a yeast washing tutorial in a sticky. That is some good reading as well.

All this got me thinking" What if you were to employ the StirPlate technique to the initial fermentation? I imagine mounting the carboy/bucket on a slightly larger stirplate device and let that baby spin for a few days. Should provide more contact time between the yeast and their food, right? More healthy yeast. Faster Fermentation. What could be the downside?

I use the primary to crash out the hot and cold break proteins -- stirring the primary would make it go faster, but then the any off flavors from the protein might come out unless you start with a filtered wort. It would probably work if done for a day or two just to jump start the yeast though.

Latest posts

Back