Steeping Grains - How much time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I've got a SA Summer Ale clone recipe, and it calls for steeping white wheat malt and 2-row for 15 minutes in 2.5 gallons of water @ 155º. Is this a long enough steeping time for these grains?

If that's what the recipe calls for, and you trust the source of the recipe. Also, that is not "steeping", that's a mini mash.

Duh, yeah, it is, isn't it? No crystal in this at all...

Okay, nevermind, this is my dumb moment for the day!

So, for a mini mash, the time is fine then?

A 15 minute mash, mini or not, seems too short to me. I've never done a mini mash before so I can't say with any certainty why the recipe would only call for a 15 minute mash. I'm sure that someone with some experience with mini mashing will chime in soon.

By the way, this is an extract kit from AHS, so I assume the grains they are asking to soak are for flavor and/or color, right?

Okay, here's exactly what the recipe calls for.

-----------

In a 20 quart pot, bring 2.5 gallons of water to 155ºF and turn off heat.

Put the crushed grains in the grain bag:

.5 lb. White Wheat Malt
.5 lb. 2-Row

Soak the grain in the hot water for 15 minutes. Lift the grain bag in and out of the water like a teabag. After soaking the grains, lift the grain bag out of the water. Once the bag has dripped almost all the water out, discard the grains and return the heat until boiling.

---------

Then, add the LME and off you go on a normal brew process for extract. So, is 15 minutes on the mark to get the flavor and color out of the grains?

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine that 0.5# wheat malt and 0.5# 2 row would really add much color or flavor to a brew with 7.5 lbs LME.
I also don't think you will get much extract out of those grains by mashing for 15 minutes using 10 qts water per lb grain, but you may get some starch.
In other words, I really don't understand the recipe, but I'd be interested to see an explanation from AHS or somebody more in tune with extract brewing (which I haven't done for 16 years).

-a.

Here's the response from AHS:

"From the white wheat, you are getting some additional protiens and
properties to help with head retension. From the 2-Row you are getting
flavor and enzymes."

From what I recall, AHS adds 2-row to all of their steeping grains for the enzymes - not to be used for a full minimash. Forrest can jump in and give you more details.. this question has come up before so you may have some luck searching.

Latest posts

Back