Delaware Valley / Philly Area: Where do you buy your grain sacks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
I am going all grain, all the time and have seen prices all over the spectrum for whole sacks both in stores and online. The shipping costs for online sales can almost equal the cost of the sack!

Where do brewers in the Delaware Valley, Philly, New Jersey, Delaware area go for the best prices to pick up at the store?

Thanks
Cheers!
:mug:

Where do brewers in the Delaware Valley, Philly, New Jersey, Delaware area go for the best prices to pick up at the store?

Thanks
Cheers!
:mug:

I don't know if they're the best price but Keystone Homebrew is really an awesome place. Clean (and new) store, fresh ingredients, helpful staff, classes if you want. Plus they've got a website too so those times you can't get there, you can order and UPS ground is next day in our area.

Best prices I've found is weak knee homebrew in Pottstown. Might not be worth the gas prices to dribe there though. 2 row and pils is around $43 for 50lbs and mo is about $50 for 55 lbs

I don't know if they're the best price but Keystone Homebrew is really an awesome place. Clean (and new) store, fresh ingredients, helpful staff, classes if you want. Plus they've got a website too so those times you can't get there, you can order and UPS ground is next day in our area.

+1 But I work there so of course I'm going to suggest Keystone... You can also put in a pickup order online if you're in a hurry. We'll have it ready for you ahead of time. Or roam around the store and hit our kegorator a few times.

I just went to keystone homebrew for the first time last month when I went down to Philly. Nice store. Bought a ton of stuff. I was very pleased!!

It sounds like you'd be within a 1 day shipping range from our new distribution center in Pittsburgh. Could order (5) 10lbs bags and receive free shipping...we don't ship sacks of grain for free, but the 10lbs bags are somewhat of a loophole! ;)

Not sure what other shops are selling sacks of grain for out there though, so this may or may not be a better deal for you. Just a thought!

Not sure where you are located or exactly what you want, but check out Brew Your Own Beer in Havertown. I usually e- mail my grain bill the night before and it is always ready when I pick it up. John (the owner) is a great guy, super helpful. He even runs my order through his mill for me, no charge. He is located right on Darby Rd just south of Eagle Rd. hope this helps.
Cheers
Kev

Best prices I've found is weak knee homebrew in Pottstown. Might not be worth the gas prices to dribe there though. 2 row and pils is around $43 for 50lbs and mo is about $50 for 55 lbs

Was just in Pottstown touring Slyfox Brewery (which I highly recommend!).

It sounds like you'd be within a 1 day shipping range from our new distribution center in Pittsburgh. Could order (5) 10lbs bags and receive free shipping...we don't ship sacks of grain for free, but the 10lbs bags are somewhat of a loophole! ;)

Not sure what other shops are selling sacks of grain for out there though, so this may or may not be a better deal for you. Just a thought!
Do you know who the malter is? Only described as "Domestic 2-Row Malt"
Thanks

Hey Jip,

I'm sure you guys did your homework before choosing a location, but if you are coming to PA what pointed you away from Philly area with a population base 5 times larger than Pittsburgh? Just wondering :confused:

Their website does not allow me to navigate to grain sack prices, actually I couldn't get to any beer making supplies! Maybe it's my crappy work I-net cnx! I'll try later.

Not sure where you are located or exactly what you want, but check out Brew Your Own Beer in Havertown. I usually e- mail my grain bill the night before and it is always ready when I pick it up. John (the owner) is a great guy, super helpful. He even runs my order through his mill for me, no charge. He is located right on Darby Rd just south of Eagle Rd. hope this helps.
Cheers
Kev

I couldn't agree more this is a great place, great inventory, very helpful (and close to one of my fav nano's Prism Brewing).

I'm looking for the BEST prices though on just grains. There has been a few good suggestions posted here and I appreciate them all! Mo Bee's free shipping option for 10 lb sacks is a good option, while weak knee's prices seem great (just a far drive, 2 hours round trip).

+1 But I work there so of course I'm going to suggest Keystone... You can also put in a pickup order online if you're in a hurry. We'll have it ready for you ahead of time. Or roam around the store and hit our kegorator a few times.

I cant get Wyeast in my area LHBS's so I went to the Bethlehem store on my way home after dropping off my son at college in NJ to pick up some Dennys 1450 which their site says is in stock. Gentleman in the store told me they dont stock it cause nobody uses it. So, I would call first to make sure they have stuff in stock.

There is a South Jersey/Philly grain group buy done quite frequently.

Check out the group buy section

Philly homebrew outlet is a really nice spot. They run group buys, and they've let me buy asack of 2 row off the floor for $50 when I asked Nicely. Great dudes good service, good club, nice events, great marketing communication. Worth a call/ stop in to shoot the breeze

I know it may be a bit of a hike but I can't say enough good things about week knee Homebrew in Pottstown. For one they have great prices $42 for two row sacks, used corny kegs for $56 as well as most if not all hops are under $2 an ounce. I was in this morning and I was treated to a sample of their pumpkin ale while they entertained my daughter and fed her goldfish cracker and root beer. They also have a great supply of inventory, I was particularly impressed with amount of fittings and hardware in stock.

In any event I'm in no way affiliated with store, but I feel that good service needs to be mentioned too as a bad experience almost always is vocalized.

Latest posts

Back