Need Help/Advice with SNPA-type recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeliechicken

Reaction score
Here's the recipe I came up with (entered into Qbrew software). I'm looking to make a SNPA clone or similar APA. Notice that the batch size is 3 GAL. Mostly I'm wondering about the extract portion of it - like LME, DME, and when to add, etc. I'm fairly new at this (this will be my 4th batch) so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

THe Pale Ale

Recipe THe Pale Ale
Style American Pale Ale
Brewer TH
Batch 3.00 gal
Type: Extract
Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.052 OG
Estimated FG 1.013 FG
Recipe Bitterness 37 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 5.0%
Recipe Color 8° SRM
Alcohol by Weight 3.9%
Ingredients QuantityGrainTypeUse
1.00 lb Light D.M.E. Extract
3.00 lb Light malt extract
QuantityHopTypeTime
0.50 oz 8.2% Perle Pellet 60 minutes
0.38 oz 6.3% Cascade Pellet 30 minutes
0.38 oz 6.3% Cascade Pellet 0 minutes
QuantityMiscNotes
1.00 pkg Yeast Safale us-05
Recipe Notes
- Bring water to boil
- Add LME & DME
- Add hops according to schedule
- Chill to <80°
- Pitch re-hydrated yeast
- Ferment in primary for 7 days @70-75°
- Rack into secondary and ferment for 14 days @70-75°
- Prime with 3oz corn sugar and bottle condition for 21 days @70-75°

Can you boil all three gallons? If yes, add all extract at once. If not - if you're boiling less than the full volume - start the boil with the DME and add the LME at flameout, before chilling.

I'd also recommend adding a half-pound of 10L Crystal or so, just for increased mouthfeel and a bit of residual sweetness. Depending, of course, on the brand of extract you've chosen.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks. I should clarify that yes I am doing a full boil. I might try the 10L crystal, I've used 1/2lb 60L before in an Amber ale with good success but I didn't know if I should use any specialty grains in this recipe.

This recipe is pretty close to what I tried last year and it was pretty close to SNPA. Mine was a 5 gal recipe and the main difference would be that I steeped 1# Crystal 60L and 1/2# 2 row. The Perle hops look the same but I hopped Cascade (AA% 7.8%) at 1/2oz @15 min and 3/4oz @ 5 min and dry hopped 1oz for two weeks. Same yeast and our starting gravities are the same but my Fg was .011. I entered mine into a comp and this and another APA were head to head for third place but I lost out in the end. I currently have the clone kit from MW to try and compare ingredients and such and see how close theirs is and maybe adjust mine .

Back