Should I move to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a beer in primary right now that is still (STILL!) bubbling on occasion. Not necessarily a bad thing but it has been 2 weeks since I pitched. My question is should I move it to the secondary now or continue to wait it out?

What is your gravity reading? Bubbling isn't a good indication of fermentation completeness.

No need to move it to secondary at all...unless you are going to be adding fruit or oak or some other flavor addition or planning on aging it for a while (months). If you are not doing any of those things, just leave it in the primary.

And as already mentioned you need gravity readings to know if it is still fermenting or not.

Bubbling could just be from a temperature change - CO2 comes out of solution as it warms. Check the gravity. Anyway, it can't hurt to move to a secondary - it could continue to finish in that bucket as well. And, many homebrewers don't use a secondary at all. So, it is really up to you - no harm will come either way.

Bubbling could just be from a temperature change - CO2 comes out of solution as it warms. Check the gravity. Anyway, it can't hurt to move to a secondary - it could continue to finish in that bucket as well. And, many homebrewers don't use a secondary at all. So, it is really up to you - no harm will come either way.

Most likely, no harm either way, but there is the chance of infection by adding in another transfer and another vessel that you need to make sure is clean and sanitized. And that's by biggest reason for not transferring to secondary with most beers. There is an increased risk of oxidation and infection, and I'd rather avoid that.

Back