MLT Question: Ringed braid vs. bazooka screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aehernandez

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm building a MLT this weekend out of a Coleman Extreme 52 quart cooler, and trying to make some final preparations for the actual design. My question regards the lauter manifold: what benefit does a full stainless steel ring (i.e. one connected to a copper tee pipe) have over a bazooka screen type stainless steel mesh screen (i.e. a straight braid of about 8")? Is there any appreciable difference in efficiency between the two or is it largely a matter of personal preference?

I'm leaning towards the easier straight braid method (like this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/52-qt-coleman-xtreme-mash-tun-build-194395/), because its slightly cheaper and definitely easier. Still, I want to make sure I do my due diligence and ask around first. Any personal anecdotes about / problems with this type in your experience? Anyone wish they had done it otherwise?

All help appreciated and thanks in advance...

If you are heat infusion mashing by dumping in hot water and batch sparging without using a pump to recirculate or fly sparge, you probably will not notice much difference in efficiency. Dumping a lot of hot water in your cooler is going to mix things up quite a bit.

Palmer's manifold test apply more when you have a set grain bed and are trying to keep it maintained when recirculating with a pump and genitally fly sparging.

What mash/sparge process are you using? That's going to make a big difference in what manifold design you use and how efficient it will be.

Braid damages much more easily. With a ring, not a big deal, but you might have to reform it occasionally. Mash paddles can accidentally screw them up pretty good.

It's a lot harder to damage a bazooka. I've bent mine pretty good, but it won't mangle like the braid.

Having used both, I prefer the bazooka.

Back