coffee again. do i really need a 2ndary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatria

Reaction score
I've been researching adding coffee ad nauseum and haven't found any definitive strategies. I'm thinking of just adding some brewed coffee to my bottling bucket, as I don't use a 2ndary fermenter.

Does anyone know if that will fail? I've heard suggestions to steep the grounds in cool water over a long period of time instead of brewing it traditionally.

eatria said:
I've been researching adding coffee ad nauseum and haven't found any definitive strategies. I'm thinking of just adding some brewed coffee to my bottling bucket, as I don't use a 2ndary fermenter.

Does anyone know if that will fail? I've heard suggestions to steep the grounds in cool water over a long period of time instead of brewing it traditionally.

I doubt that it will "fail" in your beer using this method... However, there's a link in my signature line to my Mocha Stout recipe (in the recipe database) that I made with cold-brewed coffee. At the bottom, it describes the method to cold brew your coffee.

I highly recommend cold-brewing the coffee as it makes the coffee without getting the bitterness that is created from the hot brewing process.

Austin

cold brewing is supposed to release less of the 'volatile oils' in the beans, which should mean better head building and head retention.

what about using a grain bag and slightly crushed beans for a short soak in the fermenter (or secondary if used)??

Chello said:
what about using a grain bag and slightly crushed beans for a short soak in the fermenter (or secondary if used)??

That should work. I would wait until primary fermentation is over to avoid the CO2 removing some of the aroma.

I second mcaustin on using cold pressed coffee and adding it at bottling time. We did this for our mocha stout and it's pretty great. Actually steeping beans in the hot water of your kettle may result in bitterness...let us know what you choose to do and how it goes.

thank you guys so much! this is going to be my brew after my holiday ale.

I'm thinking combining the coffee with an amazing chocolate stout recipe I have.

Back