Yeasty off flavor cure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
What is the cure for a strong yeast off flavor? Is it a longer time in the fermenter and/or secondary? Or, something else? Thanks.

Lost all my notes in a computer crash, but I think it was cal ale and brewed back in June and bottled in July.

Some yeast like Ringwood ale require diacetyl rest which involves raising the temp to +70 and letting it sit a few days. Cali Ale yeast are pretty clean though and don't produce a lot of flavors unless the ferm temps were unusually high (+75F) or low. Conditioning helps clean up most off flavors/smells. Leave it in the primary longer and the secondary longer (2 weeks each)

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I brewed my first batch. I kept it in primary for 2.5 weeks and bottled it. On Sunday was 8 days since I bottled it and I opened one bottle to try it out. I had good carbonation (even though I didnt fill it with beer to the top), it was a bit cloudy but had a weird taste and I couldnt really decide if it was yeasty or winey / sour taste. I also smelled the same from the beer and the smell is still there a few days after my first taste. I've placed a few bottles in the fridge yesterday and over 24 hours the beer I just opened cleared a lot but the yeast / wine taste and smell are still there.

Since it was my first batch I know I made some mistakes with pitching at higher temperature, poor temperature control in first 3 days of fermentation, inadequate temperature after first 3 days (kept at my balcony which lowered the temp but its a lager and would need to be much lower) and maybe other newbie mistakes. I've read about green beer but I strongly believe my beer is more on the fruity / cidery side due to high temperatures. I am still going to drink it and am learning from my mistakes. My second batch which was done last night is and its in my new fermentation cooler :)

What do you think is a better move for me - keep the bottled beer at room temperature (72f) or throw it in the fridge at 38F. Its been 2.5 weeks in primary, 1.5 week in bottles. My main concern is the reduction if possible of the smell / taste of yeast / wine taste and I am guessing that room temperature would add to more "fruity alcohol" being produced while I know that cooler temp's would help to clear it out more (its already pretty clear).

Here is a pic I just took:

21al9a1.jpg

I thought I saw someone making a comment to Revvy's (give it some time) and said that fruity / cider taste cannot be fixed thats why I asked. I've read up many times Revvy mentioned to keep it longer, including the link you gave me.

I'll keep it at room temp as planned until Halloween before trying another bottle, it was hard to resist when I opened one each day since Sunday to try my creation. I read a lot and know what caused it in my first batch, second batch will not have those problems.

Thanks for the heads up!

I thought I saw someone making a comment to Revvy's (give it some time) and said that fruity / cider taste cannot be fixed thats why I asked. I've read up many times Revvy mentioned to keep it longer, including the link you gave me

And that person may or may not have been correct....Who knows....And who know's if your beer is experience the same off flavor he was describing...it
s really subjective.

A lot of new brewers can't identify what exactly the taste of the green beer they are tasting is..many people read a description of something in a book, and go "Hey this is MUST be what I'm tasting/That's WHat must be wrong? when in truth the beer is green, and therefore there is nothing wrong.....That's why I don't recommend brewers self diagnose their off flavors...(including myself) and especially wait a couple of months....to see if the beer cleans itself up, which most of them do...

So you have a couple choices...wait a few weeks/months and prove me wrong, do the same thing and come back and say, "you're right" or dump the beer now and never know......

I personally would hang onto the beer, rather than dump it and never know, and waste the time and money you put into it...But it's your choice.

If you keep it you have a 50/50 chance of having good batch beer (or maybe even awesome beer, like so many people have posted in my "don't dump your beer thread.") More people have said I was right about it than have said I was full of it....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

If you dump it you have 100% of having no beer....and never knowing...

Im not a smart man so help me out here. You all say time but a well respected Mod says time is not the answer :confused:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

*sigh*

AND an equal number of people have said on my thread to keep the beer and let it age and have had success...

Again....the option is to wait and MAYBE have the beer turn out...or to dump it now and never know....It's your choice....

I have no stake in being right or wrong, and really don't give a flying @#$# what you do...I just believe in at least trying.....Beer is a funny thing, & yeasts are fickle living creatures with minds of their own....just when you think you got a handle on something it surprises you.

Even John Palmer has admitted that he's learned some new things since he wrote how to brew...and may have been "wrong" when he wrote it....

again, it's your choice....It's your beer, your time, and your money, if you want to dump it then do it.....

:mug:

Dont sigh at me Revvy; I love ya work :ban: I'm just asking to learn here. If it was me I would let it age and suck it up and drink it (I might have a few to warm up with first :drunk:) NEVER poor out a beer.

I actually was going to ask if you wanted to get a beer next time im up in Standish :mug:

I am not dumping anything, I am drinking it all ;) but keeping it in room temp instead of putting in the fridge as intended. No beer will be harmed in the making of my first batch!

Dont sigh at me Revvy; I love ya work :ban: I'm just asking to learn here. If it was me I would let it age and suck it up and drink it (I might have a few to warm up with first :drunk:) NEVER poor out a beer.

I actually was going to ask if you wanted to get a beer next time im up in Standish :mug:

Yuri also says it right at the end of his first post....
Yuri said:
But I bottle condition my beer! Well, my friend, you have to wait an extra 2-3 weeks. There's no getting around that. Yeast work slowly when under pressure in an alcoholic environment. Patience is still a virtue.

If you read it he is more or less talking about kegging beer (which is a whole different animal), and also brewing it under optimal conditions....most of us aren't anal enough or lucky enough to have optimal conditions, and perfect water when we brew.....Yuri's different, he's like the myguyver of brewing...I wouldn't be surprised if he had an all stainless clean room for a brewery and wore a space suit while in there....

Is there any place to get good beer in Standish?????

:D

OK, this may be a dumb question to ask, and don't take any offense to this as I am trying to help, but are you pouring the whole bottle into your glass and leaving the sediment on the bottom of the bottle? I know I have to teach people how to pour every time someone new tries my brew. When I read that it tasted yeasty, this was what first popped into my head.

Im not a smart man so help me out here. You all say time but a well respected Mod says time is not the answer :confused:

God knows I'm not a smart man either, but I think the distinction is that (i) a certain amount of time is usually necessary to make a good beer, as Revvy says (and as I've found in my own limited experience), but (ii) as Yuri points out, there are some things you can do when making beer that minimise the need to wait for long periods.

So time is usually but not always necessary for good beer.

OK, this may be a dumb question to ask, and don't take any offense to this as I am trying to help, but are you pouring the whole bottle into your glass and leaving the sediment on the bottom of the bottle? I know I have to teach people how to pour every time someone new tries my brew. When I read that it tasted yeasty, this was what first popped into my head.

I'm careful not to pour the sediment in the glass.

I'm not a smart man so help me out here. You all say time but a well respected Mod says time is not the answer :confused:

What we are talking about in that thread is to build a beer from the ground up that does NOT need months of ageing. That thread is about building a beer with NO off flavors, and nothing that needs to age out. What My post was referring to was a beer that does have an off flavor, and needs some time to come back.
Chances are good that the op did NOT design this beer for a quick turn around. Chances are also good that he did not cold crash it, and did not filter it, and did not force carb it....like all the tips and tricks for turning a beer around in 10 - 15 days recommend.
What time does...is provide cover for the issues that we have with beer. A yeasty flavor in beer is quite technically an "OFF FLAVOR" and will age out. In fact, ALL beer will have that flavor at some point during the process.
I would not ever question Yuri...or his method...and in fact, I have a few beers of my own that are ready by day 21 or so, and I am refining that processto try and see 10 days on a few of them. The fact is, when I screw up, or have a recipe that is not specifically designed to produce a quick beer...time is the best gift I can give my beer.

Is there any place to get good beer in Standish?????
:D

Yah, another 30 minutes north at my house. :D

As to Yuri's post, this is a major item that backs up the "Time" issue.

Yuri said:
Sample. The beer is ready when it tastes good. If it's bready, yeasty, cloudy, chunky, twangy, too bitter, unrefined, etc, it's not ready. If it's clear and tastes good, keg it.

Latest posts

Back