Just opened first beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magarnigel

Reaction score
and I am pretty pleased with it. I'm kinda bummed that it's a little infected but it doesn't have any bad tastes too it. Maybe a little oily but I can live with that. :rockin:

What kind of beer is it? Also, how do you know it's infected?

It's a red ale recipe I got from the local HB shop. I am assuming it is infected because there is about a dime size of white matter at the bottom of that glass. I could be wrong though.

If it doesn't taste bad, then it's a good batch IMO.

Hopefully that white matter doesn't grow with the other beers that are waiting to open.

Congrats on your first!

If it doesn't taste bad, then it's a good batch IMO.

Hopefully that white matter doesn't grow with the other beers that are waiting to open.

Congrats on your first!

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. If I end up having to dump towards the end of the batch that's fine. I already have another batch in secondary and a third waiting to be brewed once equipment frees up.

Oily???
The "white stuff" could be yeast.
If you bottle condition your beers then it is pretty normal to have some yeast sediment left in each bottle. It is just the leftover yeast settling out, I do not recommend drinking it though due to the laxative effect it can have!

It's a red ale recipe I got from the local HB shop. I am assuming it is infected because there is about a dime size of white matter at the bottom of that glass. I could be wrong though.

White stuff at the bottom is usually no issue. When there is white stuff growing in the head space there may be an infection. If it tastes good than no problem.

I may not be right and I am just trying to help but if it is yeast as it sounds it could be then if you pour slowly you can leave the yeast behind in the bottle with only a little bit of beer and then the yeast wont mix in with the beer effecting the flavour. Again if you know this then thats fine but just letting you know in case you didnt, I know I was learning these basic tips for most of my first brew and I still learn more each time I visit these forums :)

Sounds like yeast, to me. I poured one of my last Winter Porters the other day, and I wasn't paying attention. I definitely got yeast in the glass, and it went straight to the bottom, and left "amoeba" looking white splotches stuck to the bottom.

Sounds like yeast, to me. I poured one of my last Winter Porters the other day, and I wasn't paying attention. I definitely got yeast in the glass, and it went straight to the bottom, and left "amoeba" looking white splotches stuck to the bottom.

Yeah this is what it did. That makes me feel a lot better now. I will just have to pour slowly like someone suggested.

I did notice on the second bottle, it wasn't nearly as carbonated when it went into the glass. This one was also much colder though. Could temperature have an affect on the the fizz once it's in the glass?

Back