Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw a bag of Penzance listed on ebay for $103 with a bid on it! Looks like I may have to snag a bag next time it's on smokingpipes.com ($25) for the sole purpose of flipping on ebay. That methodology could fund my whole pipe hoarding habit!

Just saw a bag of Penzance listed on ebay for $103 with a bid on it! Looks like I may have to snag a bag next time it's on smokingpipes.com ($25) for the sole purpose of flipping on ebay. That methodology could fund my whole pipe hoarding habit!

Solid plan. I used to flip items from the Bazaar daily on EverQuest so I could buy my bard all his fancy **** like the Thunderous Drum of Karana... err.. um.. :off: Who would pay that much for tobacco? Damn.

Solid plan. I used to flip items from the Bazaar daily on EverQuest so I could buy my bard all his fancy **** like the Thunderous Drum of Karana... err.. um.. :off: Who would pay that much for tobacco? Damn.

XD I used to play ever quest a bit... Never got into it as much as I did Dark Age of Camelot though... I used to make bank doing that though. I had more plat on daoc than I knew what to do with.

So after reading this thread for some time now, I have been inspired to pick up a pipe and some tobacco. My grandfather used to smoke pipes, and I always remember loving the aroma when going to his house. I ordered an inexpensive Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipe and a few kinds of tobacco. I got some Tsuge Raijin and some maple rum flavored stuff. It is still a little cold here in MN to sit outside and really enjoy a bowl, but I have braved the chilly weather and done just that. It has been really pleasurable I must say. Now I just need to find that one tobacco that really does it for me, the Tsuge stuff is good, but not exactly my style.

So after reading this thread for some time now, I have been inspired to pick up a pipe and some tobacco. My grandfather used to smoke pipes, and I always remember loving the aroma when going to his house. I ordered an inexpensive Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipe and a few kinds of tobacco. I got some Tsuge Raijin and some maple rum flavored stuff. It is still a little cold here in MN to sit outside and really enjoy a bowl, but I have braved the chilly weather and done just that. It has been really pleasurable I must say. Now I just need to find that one tobacco that really does it for me, the Tsuge stuff is good, but not exactly my style.

Welcome to the thread! As far as pipe baccy goes, there is an infinite variety for all tastes and occasions. My general rule of thumb with the baccy is, if it smells good it usually tastes bad, if it smells bad it usually tastes good. Now, there are always exceptions to the rules. I stay away from most aromatics because they tend to burn hot from being covered in chemically tasting goop. Try a bunch of different styles, Virginias, Virginia/Perique blends, Burley blends, Balkan/English blends, and oriental blends. As you try different things take note of what is in the blend and what you like/dislike and I would bet one of us can help make suggestions on things to try.

Welcome to the thread! As far as pipe baccy goes, there is an infinite variety for all tastes and occasions. My general rule of thumb with the baccy is, if it smells good it usually tastes bad, if it smells bad it usually tastes good. Now, there are always exceptions to the rules. I stay away from most aromatics because they tend to burn hot from being covered in chemically tasting goop. Try a bunch of different styles, Virginias, Virginia/Perique blends, Burley blends, Balkan/English blends, and oriental blends. As you try different things take note of what is in the blend and what you like/dislike and I would bet one of us can help make suggestions on things to try.

Thanks Hooligan! I figured it would be more of a brute force effort to really narrow it down. Off I go on this new journey, I suspect most bowls will be enjoyed while brewing up a batch. Cheers!

My general rule of thumb with the baccy is, if it smells good it usually tastes bad, if it smells bad it usually tastes good. Now, there are always exceptions to the rules.

I am the exact polar opposite of this. Love the aromatics. Not fond of much anything else. My only exception to this is Golden Virginia. Love those sweet, honey flavored, hay like notes.

But I do agree, try a little of everything and take note of what you like about it and of what is in the blend. Eventually you will begin to pick up on a pattern in your likes/dislikes.

Took me years to understand this about myself as I generally avoided the aromatics due to majority views.

I am the exact polar opposite of this. Love the aromatics. Not fond of much anything else. My only exception to this is Golden Virginia. Love those sweet, honey flavored, hay like notes.

But I do agree, try a little of everything and take note of what you like about it and of what is in the blend. Eventually you will begin to pick up on a pattern in your likes/dislikes.

Took me years to understand this about myself as I generally avoided the aromatics due to majority views.

Exactly this, taste is subjective and not everyone will like/dislike the same things. There are a few aromatics I am very fond of, but my personal tastes favor Virginas (sweet, citrus, hay) or Virginia/Perique (same as VA, but with a musty/spicy kick) blends as well as Latakia heavy English or Balkan blends. Latakia is a fire cured tobacco that has a taste reminiscent of campfire, not everyone's cup of tea.

Exactly this, taste is subjective and not everyone will like/dislike the same things. There are a few aromatics I am very fond of, but my personal tastes favor Virginas (sweet, citrus, hay) or Virginia/Perique (same as VA, but with a musty/spicy kick) blends as well as Latakia heavy English or Balkan blends. Latakia is a fire cured tobacco that has a taste reminiscent of campfire, not everyone's cup of tea.

Ayup. I have found I am not fond of Latakia heavy blends. Comes across as powdery/moldy to me.

What is this spring in January? Taking the opportunity to smoke a English blend my tobacconist recomended.

It's kinda dumb that in Washington state I can buy marijuana but I can't buy pipe tobacco off the internet...

Hey glad to see another inland northwest guy on here, and a brewer and a piper to boot!

:mug:

I just opened Tsuge's Gunjin tonight. I got the 4 Gods Sampler a while back, but Gunjin was my favorite of the 4 so I got another tin. I can enjoy everything from a good aromatic to a Perique/Oriental to a deep Lakatia.

I just opened Tsuge's Gunjin tonight. I got the 4 Gods Sampler a while back, but Gunjin was my favorite of the 4 so I got another tin. I can enjoy everything from a good aromatic to a Perique/Oriental to a deep Lakatia.

I do enjoy Perique. But in small doses. Ever had the American Spirit Black? they use a 1 to 5 ratio of Perique (10%) to , IIRC, equal parts Virginia and Burley. Loved those things.

I would like to also try Dokha and Mapacho/Thuoc Lo varietals.

Do you guys have any certain things you like to do while smoking a pipe? For example I generally listen to music, and write while I smoke a pipe. The music depends on what I'm writing, but I find the pipe and music to really help me get into a good creative mindset. I think there's a real truth to the idea that smoking a pipe helps you be more contemplative. Of course that might just be a placebo affect too, either way it works for me.

Do you guys have any certain things you like to do while smoking a pipe? For example I generally listen to music, and write while I smoke a pipe. The music depends on what I'm writing, but I find the pipe and music to really help me get into a good creative mindset. I think there's a real truth to the idea that smoking a pipe helps you be more contemplative. Of course that might just be a placebo affect too, either way it works for me.

I originally started while video gaming. Put my pipes down for a few years and took it back up while woodworking. Some of the aromas of the cut wood just took me back. Most of the time tho, I just smoke while sipping a good beer.

I originally started while video gaming. Put my pipes down for a few years and took it back up while woodworking. Some of the aromas of the cut wood just took me back. Most of the time tho, I just smoke while sipping a good beer.

That sounds nice too, sadly lately I haven't had the money for beer, and I was never able to restock my home brews after Christmas lol I wish I had put back some of my imperial stout now. It would go wonderfully with a nice pipe.

Having some frustrations with this S&G Full Flake. Out of the tin, rubbing the flake was gummy and only broke up into twiggy strands. So, I set it out to dry a bit and forgot about it until 2 days later. By then it was too dry to smoke but thought I'd rub it out more before rehydrating. And of course, now it's a blend of cigarette tobacco with gummy chunks.

I just realized I'm almost out of baccy =O hopefully I get paid tomorrow... I'll have to get more than 2 ounces this time. Anyone have any suggestions on a tobacco to look for? I had the lane 1Q which was decent. I'm thinking of getting a black Cavendish because I remember enjoying that a lot last time. It can't be too expensive either. I'm basically on a college kids budget right now lol

Having some frustrations with this S&G Full Flake. Out of the tin, rubbing the flake was gummy and only broke up into twiggy strands. So, I set it out to dry a bit and forgot about it until 2 days later. By then it was too dry to smoke but thought I'd rub it out more before rehydrating. And of course, now it's a blend of cigarette tobacco with gummy chunks.

Fold and stuff, son!

For wet flakes: lay on a paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds. Let cool, then rub out, stuff, and light. At least that's what works for me. I can never keep the bowl lit when I do the old fold n stuff. Guess I just never practiced enough

For wet flakes: lay on a paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds. Let cool, then rub out, stuff, and light. At least that's what works for me. I can never keep the bowl lit when I do the old fold n stuff. Guess I just never practiced enough

I rub out the entire tin and then store in bags in jars. Keeps the humidty and aroma but no fuss for grab and go.

How are flakes different than regular pipe tobacco? Is it just different form, or is there actually a difference in how it smokes/flavor?

Packed up my pipes and baccy today for my move this weekend. Didn't realize how much baccy I have. Won't let the wife know this though as a guy always needs more...

Packed my cob a few times last night while throwing a ball around for the puppy. Wife moved my regular pipe and I couldn't find it. The cob has such a hard draw on it that it makes it hard to enjoy more than a small pinch. I need to get down to the shop to try some more blends or a tin of that Tsuge stuff you guys talk about. I don't like the two blends I have left. They aren't horrible, just not a fan. Have aged whiskey and seville. Probably doesn't mean anything to you guys, but hopefully the shop will know what the blends were and help me identify what I didn't like.

How are flakes different than regular pipe tobacco? Is it just different form, or is there actually a difference in how it smokes/flavor?

Some are just a PITA to prepare for smoking, IMO. Otherwise, they aren't. Flake compared to "regular" is just a packaging method. A different form. I prefer ready rubbed tobacco but do not shy away from plug, coin, squares (cube cut), flakes, etc.. they just mean a bit more work to make ready to smoke. Although some just fold the coins or flake and stuff them in to smoke like Ace suggests. I've never had much luck doing that.

Packed my cob a few times last night while throwing a ball around for the puppy. Wife moved my regular pipe and I couldn't find it. The cob has such a hard draw on it that it makes it hard to enjoy more than a small pinch. I need to get down to the shop to try some more blends or a tin of that Tsuge stuff you guys talk about. I don't like the two blends I have left. They aren't horrible, just not a fan. Have aged whiskey and seville. Probably doesn't mean anything to you guys, but hopefully the shop will know what the blends were and help me identify what I didn't like.

If I were to wager a guess, and assuming these are bulk blends, I'd expect teh aged whiskey to be a Peter Stokkbye product. Black Cavendish, Burley, and Virgina in the mix. Most likely you didn't like the whiskey flavoring.

No idea on the seville.

I gotta question. How many times do y'all generally relight your pipe? I've gotten to where I generally don't have to, and I used to get frustrated when my pipe went out on me but I read its actually not a bad thing if it does.

If I do have to relight, it's maybe once sometimes twice a bowl (my bowls usually last give or take 30 minutes). Am I doing it right? Or should I slow down on my puffing and not worry if it goes out? I do get a bite every now and then but no as often as when I first started.

Sorry for what is probably way too long of a post for such a simple question lol I just want to make sure that I'm getting my technique down and getting the most out of my tobacco.

I gotta question. How many times do y'all generally relight your pipe? I've gotten to where I generally don't have to, and I used to get frustrated when my pipe went out on me but I read its actually not a bad thing if it does.

If I do have to relight, it's maybe once sometimes twice a bowl (my bowls usually last give or take 30 minutes). Am I doing it right? Or should I slow down on my puffing and not worry if it goes out? I do get a bite every now and then but no as often as when I first started.

Sorry for what is probably way too long of a post for such a simple question lol I just want to make sure that I'm getting my technique down and getting the most out of my tobacco.

Depends on the pipe, the tobacco, the ambient humidity, how you packed the bowl, etc. the best flavors come from smoking slow enough to just keep it lit. Sometimes I relight 1-3 times, sometimes it's a bunch more. I never stressed it that much, it's just part of the process. When I would try to smoke too fast to keep lit I had lots of problems with tongue bite.

Depends on the pipe, the tobacco, the ambient humidity, how you packed the bowl, etc. the best flavors come from smoking slow enough to just keep it lit. Sometimes I relight 1-3 times, sometimes it's a bunch more. I never stressed it that much, it's just part of the process. When I would try to smoke too fast to keep lit I had lots of problems with tongue bite.

That's kind of what I'm learning, that when I obsess over keeping it lit I tend to not enjoy it. So I've been trying to find the right balance of keeping it lit but just barely. I've learned with lane 1Q I'm able to keep it lit no problem without experiencing any bite or anything. The other tobacco's have been hit or miss.

I'm thinking of getting away from aromatics though because they've been leaving a bit to be desired flavor wise. Lane 1Q is the only one I've tried that I really enjoy so far. Though it seems a little mild to me.

That's kind of what I'm learning, that when I obsess over keeping it lit I tend to not enjoy it. So I've been trying to find the right balance of keeping it lit but just barely. I've learned with lane 1Q I'm able to keep it lit no problem without experiencing any bite or anything. The other tobacco's have been hit or miss.

I'm thinking of getting away from aromatics though because they've been leaving a bit to be desired flavor wise. Lane 1Q is the only one I've tried that I really enjoy so far. Though it seems a little mild to me.

Try a bunch of different styles. Keep notes on what you like and dislike. When it comes to tobacco, there isn't much I don't like except cigarettes, chemical tasting aromatics, and infused cigars. Natural flavors are what I want. Pipesandcigars.com has a great selection of bulk blends. Mississippi River by Seattle Pipe Club is a world class English blend that is available in bulk as small as 1oz samples. Peter Stokkebye is another brand they carry in bulk that is wallet friendly but very good, their offerings smoke well over their pricepoint, especially their flakes. Their luxury twist flake is a pure Virginia flake lightly topped with a caramel flavoring and is a great smoke any time of day. Hell, in a few weeks after I settle into my new place I will put together a bunch of small samples of a bunch of different things for you to try.

I just ordered 3 Missouri Meerschaums, another can of Molto Dolce, a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla, and a tin of Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox. I've had my MM for 7-8 years. I bought it as a joke (in regards to my 12 teeth), but have thoroughly enjoyed it. it's time to put it to rest and break in a new one or three.

Back