DryHop + Airlock Bubbling = Do Not Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All

Brewed a IIPA that say in primary for 3 weeks and stablized gravity wise. Dry hopped which started the airlock bubbling again (as it usually does).
But now 8 days later and the airlock is still bubbling (maybe a bubble every two seconds - so fairly regularly).

My instincts tell me to hold off on bottling but I have two questions:

[1] Should I hold off on bottling? I worry about leaving on dry hops too long.
[2] Does 8 days of bubbling from dry hops seem like a lot?

The airlock is bubbling is because you took the lid off to put stuff in the fermenter, all of that caused the equilbrium of gas that was inside the fermenter to change, and the airlock is doing what it is meant to do, venting gas.

Even nudging a ferementer will cause airlocks to bubble after a long time, because it causes co2 trapped in the trub to be released.

It doesn't mean usually anything else but that the fermenter is off gassing....nothing more.

Rev -
Thanks. I understand that and have seen it in the past. Just not used to it running for a week like that. So then I am ok to bottle you would say?

Rev -
Thanks. I understand that and have seen it in the past. Just not used to it running for a week like that. So then I am ok to bottle you would say?

Give it another gravity check. If it's the same there is no problem with bottling.

Latest posts

Back